WANTED: GSWR Carriage Diagrams

Rate this topic

DiveController

"GSWR Carriage Diagrams" by H Richards &  B Pender a 1975 Transport Research Associates, re-print of the 1924 GSWR Carriage Diagram Book

I have been looking for a copy of this for the last several years and should have probably started on here first. If anyone has a copy, original or reprint, that the would be willing to part with, donate to a fellow modeler, sell, loan, put on a 99-year lease, lose in my general vicinity etc. I would appreciate if you would kindly PM me.

Thank you

• Like 1

Hi Kevin (and friends)

My colleague, Richard McLachlan, is soon to digitise the TRA book. However, he is of the view that if you want drawings suitable for modelling that it will be of only modest use to you. It does not include dimensions.

The IRRS drawings catalogue includes several books on GSR (and GSWR) coaches. These DO include dimensions and are much more useful to the modeller. I can attest to their quality - even though I hate to say nice things about Richard! Well, not too nice.

I suggest that you use the contacts referred to in the on-line catalogue which you will find at -

For those of you in Dublin, you can see many of these books if you approach Anthony McDonald at a Tuesday IRRS "Library Night" in the former Good Manager's offices at Heuston.

Leslie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Like you'd I been searching for a  copy of this book for some time. I finally tracked a copy down to the NRM in York, if you drop a line to them, they can bring it into their reference library. I was disappointed....

It's quite dated now, and as Leslie says, the IRRS drawings are of much much better quality!

Richard,

It is indeed. GSWR standard lengths increased to 57' c.1908 but the 1914/15 52S lavatory tricomposites set a new future standard in coach building by having steel instead of wooden under frames and elliptical roofs versus the mostly vertical walled flat-roofed coaching stock that had gone before possibly why they enjoyed a working life of over 50 years into the 1960s. The two 7'3" 1st class centre compartments had their own lavatory and electrical lighting as did the two 6'6" second class on the right. Three 6' third class compartments on the left while more significantly more frugally appointed also had their own lavatory a major advancement for the GWSR renowned for its disdain of third class passengers. I/m not entirely why they're numbered out of sequence with only the 4 in service ten years later in 1924 per Dave's diagram.

I'm thinking that if Dave can post some of these diagrams that the majority of this thread might be moved to a more appropriate forum for future reference?

Scan0001.thumb.jpg.29bb1fbbb72efa0a5b40edc4bd4d8b63.jpg

Edited by DiveController

3 hours ago, DiveController said:

It is indeed. GSWR standard lengths increased to 57' c.1908 but the 1914/15 52S lavatory tricomposites set a new future standard in coach building by having steel instead of wooden under frames and elliptical roofs versus the mostly vertical walled flat-roofed coaching stock that had gone before possibly why they enjoyed a working life of over 50 years into the 1960s. The two 7'3" 1st class centre compartments had their own lavatory and electrical lighting as did the two 6'6" second class on the right. Three 6' third class compartments on the left while more significantly more frugally appointed also had their own lavatory a major advancement for the GWSR renowned for its disdain of third class passengers. I/m not entirely why they're numbered out of sequence with only the 4 in service ten years later in 1924 per Dave's diagram.

I'm thinking that if Dave can post some of these diagrams that the majority of this thread might be moved to a more appropriate forum for future reference?

The diagram looks like its from Pender & Richards book of GSWR Carriage Diagrams.

The biggest drawback with this type of drawing (apart from the lack of dimensions) is that they usually show one side of the vehicle which with a side corridor coach leaves the modeler with a lot of guesswork trying to work out window & door positions and beading detail.

The GAs available in the IRRS digital collection contain a lot more detail and importantly measurements and construction details.

• Like 1