Craven Coaches

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

20 hours ago, Dave Dawes said:

Hi all, are there many Craven Coaches models still around or was it a short run by Murphys 

Try Marks. There was plenty of new stock released into the retail sector a few years ago. Otherwise swap meets like Stillorgan or Bray Wheelers a good place to buy them at fair prices, they tend to be price inflated on eBay. They are not as rare as orange roofed mk2d IE/IE tippex coaches .

17 minutes ago, Noel said:

Try Marks. There was plenty of new stock released into the retail sector a few years ago. Otherwise swap meets like Stillorgan or Bray Wheelers a good place to buy them at fair prices, they tend to be price inflated on eBay. They are not as rare as orange roofed mk2d IE/IE tippex coaches .

Thanks for the info, I'm on the mainland so struggle to do your swap meets, found 3 and another member on here has one so all good, the tippex orange was ugly in my opinion, very odd.

2 hours ago, Bob229 said:

Will do

18 hours ago, Dave Dawes said:

Thanks for the info, I'm on the mainland so struggle to do your swap meets, found 3 and another member on here has one so all good, the tippex orange was ugly in my opinion, very odd.

I sent you a PM with regard to the post costs

20 hours ago, Dave Dawes said:

Ah the mainland, Germany? That's a bit far to get to Stillorgan or Bray by road alright. 🤣

11 hours ago, DiveController said:

The older livery with the broad white stripe is the better of the two liveries IMO

Agreed. The CIE era had fabulous non-uniform coach formations and the 6 inch single white stripe reeks of the 1960s and 1970s before the modern era uniform m2 and later mk3's stole the show. I suppose its all down to the era one has nostalgia memory for.

Edited by Noel

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Noel said:

Agreed. The CIE era had fabulous non-uniform coach formations and the 6 inch single white stripe reeks of the 1960s and 1970s before the modern era uniform m2 and later mk3's stole the show. I suppose its all down to the era one has nostalgia memory for.

The very existence of the white stripe on the black'n'tan livery owes its origin to that very fact - that in a typical train virtually no two coaches were alike. I remember it well. Initially at least, the "borderline" between the lower tan and the mid-level black was always kept at exactly the same height, even if it didn't suit the "architecture" of the coach. The white line, similarly, was at exactly the same level, and (BR vans excepted, due to lower body height) the same six-inch width.

As a result, an illusion of greater uniformity was created as one looked along the side of a train.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2