Question on gypsum wagons

Rate this topic

trainboy

Hi guys,

I have a question on the ballast wagons used on Irish rail. We’re these wagons also used for gypsum haulage? Looking at photos they appear to be the same type of wagon. If so, I can run my train of IRM wagons without the yellow ballast front and end plough wagons. Happy new year to all......Brendan

Speaking of Gypsums I seem to recall the following hope

On 6/15/2016 at 6:42 AM, BosKonay said:

A small Gypsum run is not out of the question at a later date, so if that's of interest, do feel free to drop us a note to register interest!

Thanks so much for all the support to date - it enables us to push forward on more exciting projects - we'll make some announcements soon also regarding the much anticipated Cement Bubbles!

• Like 1

There was also a little known prototype gypsum wagon that was trialed in the late 1990s with a red cover strapped down to prevent the gypsum from getting wet, I thought it was amusing at the time as the gypsum was carried for over 60 years without covers, it was planned to introduce covers for the gypsum wagon fleet, then the ILDA dispute delayed it, when the dispute finished, the gypsum finished too and the gypsum wagon covers was abandoned.

Regards

h gricer 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 12/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, h gricer said:

There was also a little known prototype gypsum wagon that was trialed in the late 1990s with a red cover strapped down to prevent the gypsum from getting wet, I thought it was amusing at the time as the gypsum was carried for over 60 years without covers, 

Regards

h gricer 

The problem may have arisen as a result of changes in the characteristics of the mineral after the mine near Kingscourt Station was closed and the gypsum was sourced from another mine.

As far as I recall the gypsum railed from Kingscourt and gypsum plasters were originally a red-brown in colour, changing to a mid-dark grey during the 1990s. 

Grey gypsum may have a tendency to stick more in the wagons than the brown,  grey gypsum plasters tended to take considerably longer to dry out than the brown.

What does this all this mean for the modeller?

I suppose alternative brown and grey wagon loads, though Kingscourt-Platin gypsum traffic was transported in corrugated and wooden bodied open wagons until a hopper discharge was commissioned at Platin c 1976-7.

• 1 month later...

While sorting through my slide collection I came across a photo I took of the prototype covered gypsum wagon 26674 at North Wall on Monday 25th November 2002, it did 1 trip to Kingscourt on a trial, the entire fleet was to end up this way, but it never happen, issues with the ILDA dispute and then the traffic ceased in October 2001.

Gypsum wagon at NW. (2).jpg

Edited by h gricer
  • Like 4
  • Informative 3
  • WOW! 1