NIR open wagons

Rate this topic

paulincelbridge

Most NIR opens were, as you say, cut down wooden opens. They were fairly standard across the board. Most were NCC with a few GNR - same design basically. Get one of Leslie's and give it a lick of paint (or, indeed, brake dust and filth!).

If you want to scratch build, I don't know where you'd get a drawing - though many here might - but a few kits or bought standard wooden opens from one of the British lines would probably do too, unless you'd be a "rivet counter"!

5 plank, interesting... I thought they were 4 plank, or were they built (or rebuilt) as 4 plank?

The Cambrian C58 kit comes very close with a 5 plank body 70mm long, 32mm wide and 14mm high on a wooden solebar/drawbar.

The wheelbase is 36mm but looks extendable to 40mm as the solebar and W irons come on two different layers. The end stanchions can be trimmed to a taper with some cutters and 1mm x 1mm brass L section used to make the stanchions either side of the door. The two door springs can be formed from staples. With sides cut down to 2 plank the diagonal strapping stops just in the right place too.

Edited by NIR

The four plank wagon seems to have been the most numerous type in service, and I can't say that I have seen a 'cut down' version of a 5 plank wagon.

Here is a picture of a 12T 5 plank wagon. Probably from the 1941 built batch.

407732427_12TOpen2255.thumb.jpg.2837468e92f4bec0496aa01a2dd992c4.jpg

Pictures of 'cut down' wagons at Whitehead and Downpatrick.

JPEG105.thumb.jpg.9f97009d2b265544c2d8c453d027a2eb.jpgJPEG108.thumb.jpg.9a1554d48cd203541032567e25c6d15c.jpg

Picture of 4 plank wagon C32 at Downpatrick.

JPEG106.thumb.jpg.b7198cdbcd2da860629756d78cee5df8.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 2:57 PM, paulincelbridge said:

Great photos! I also thought the "cut down" wagons were from 4 plank and not 5 plank. I will try modifying a RTR 5 plank first though as that's what I have.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:15 PM, Dhu Varren said:

The four plank wagon seems to have been the most numerous type in service, and I can't say that I have seen a 'cut down' version of a 5 plank wagon.

Do I detect crossed wires/understanding?;)

On 1/31/2020 at 11:45 AM, Colin_McLeod said:

Do I detect crossed wires/understanding?;)

I don't think so Colin, we are agreed that the cut down wagons were mostly if not all 4 plank. I am suggesting using a 5 plank purely as a "fun" exercise to get a representation of the style and not an attempt to make anything close to the reality.

• Like 1