LLSR colur photos.

Rate this question

Midland Man

Question

5 answers to this question

Also see page 114 of Irish Railways in Colour Volume 2

Have seen colour photos of the Swilly in back issues of Backytack magazine. You need get a copy of the revised edition of the classic Patterson book as well. The Visitors guide to the LLSR has a great colour photo on the front cover.

4 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Does anyone know if there is any colur photos of the LLSR? The reason I would want to know is that I am thinking of building a Gardin railway in 7mm using 16.5mm track. Hope someone will be able to answer this.

MM

Look up the online catalogue of Colourrail. You can buy copies of their images. They have about half a dozen very nice and comparatively recently posted LLSR pics. If you're thinking of colours, locos were a very dark olive green (lined pale yellow), which weathered to almost black, though unlike their CDRJC a neighbours who rarely cleaned anything but the tank sides and cans of locos, Lough Swilly ones were very well cleaned and kept for the most part. Not so carriages; these were plain unlined wagon grey, same as the wagons.

Not sure the Swilly would work in 7mms scale on 00 track. It only equates to 2'4 and the Swilly locos were big. That said, the garden could be a good way to try and represent the wide open spaces. Given unlimited time and wealth, doing it to 10mm scale on 0 gauge track would be my own preference, though it ain't gonna happen....