Help with NIR Class 111 liveries

Rate this question

murphaph

Question

Hi all,

I'm hoping to lay my hands on some of these lovely blue monsters somehow as and when they become available. I'd like to be up to speed on which of the MM liveries ran during which years.

Can someone advise for the following:

MM0111 (that's the light blue one with red ends)

MM8113 (dark blue with large yellow ends)

In my "Irish Traction" book there's a picture of 8113 down south in 1999. Would she have come south any earlier in that livery?

I think the red ends came before the yellow ends, right? Until what year did these locos carry the red ends?

Thanks a heck of a lot for any information you can provide.

I think I know enough about 112 being lent to IE etc. so it would be great if we could focus on the other 2, cheers!

• Like 2

I'm only noticing this thread now, and the original queries on it.

As suggested in the many answers, the yellow panel came with the darker blue, with the red / orange before that on the light blue.

This was never actual RED, as such. What it was in reality, was a "day-glo orange", which like its equivalent on the fronts of many (but not all) IE locos, often looks red in photos when clean and new, but which faded to a more orangey colour in a relatively short space of time. Thus, there was not a distinct "red" and "orange" - as in separate colours at different times; it was the reddish-hued dayglo orange fading, and doing so a great deal quicker than its adjacent blue paintwork did.

Yellow was probably used to replace it as it was at least as visible, but a great deal more practical and longer lasting. It had already served the Hunslets well enough in maroon days, and the UTA railcar fronts before that.

• Informative 2

31 minutes ago, gm171 kk said:

Also worth mentioning is that 112 wore the original livery into 1993 and possibly beyond.

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

Was that MM0112 and MM0113 merged together to form that particular type in the photo or how did you achieve it? A release of this livery variant by MM would be epic right about now.

On 25/7/2020 at 10:45 PM, DiveController said:

I don't know for certain about the panel color  but we have had many discussions regarding greens and oranges ( on rolling stock) on this forum,.... I didn't even mention those colors, pistols at dawn and all that... :shooting:

Any red panel is going to appear darker against lighter french blue rather than the royal? blue the they were repainted in later, red will fade to orange with time/use and color photos and printers color will vary. 

I also have that edition of the D&H book and the MM model looks completely different, the model's blue color looks significantly lighter (and I wonder if the red is too). The Hunslet should have a red flash on the front cab but there seems to be several picture of this appearing orange.

One thing you'll need to remember about the MM 111 class model if that only 8113 has the newer LED lights iirc so if you're modeling prior to that time and want to renumber things you'll have to get either 111 and 112 and respray/renumber

MM0111 & MM0113 limited to 252 pieces, there may have been 504 of MM0112, I'm not sure. Work checking out Dave thread on 'Lima Models' p9

PAIR of hunslet crossing the Boyne,

Red and ?'orange flash' on the trailing loco

Hunslet 101 and 102 at Drogheda

Great Shot - possibly the last time they worked the Enterprise, paired together and not top and tail. Was requested by the ITG and NIR obliged, I'd say all of York Road were onboard just in case....

111 liveries - Its all quite simple-ish. Keep in mind theres 1 livery that Murphys didnt do, and its unusual that he didnt do it.

Theres only 2 basic liveries, granted the second one has been modified over the last 30 years but the basics are the same almost

33471802856_a32c37117e_o.jpg

As delivered - light 1978 blue with orangeyreddy ends and 'stencil' NIR logo

111 - 1981-1989 (as produced by Murphy Models)

112 - 1981-1992

113 - 1984- 1989

5139591866_8723f0c276_o.jpg

Second Livery - darker blue with yellow ends, and chunky NIR logo - not modelled by Murphy Models, the only gap in the 071/111 range....

111 - 1989 - 2010 (approx)

112 - 1992 - 2003 

113 - 1989 - 2003 (approx)

Later changed with larger warning panel and larger LED lights along with '8' prefix on the number, (112 still has not got it so its still 112) 8111 and 8113. 

8113 also spent a time running around with its NIR logo on the side missing

NIR 112, Limerick Junction, 11-10-03 | afc45014 | Flickr

Everyones fave, 112 while on long term loan to IE - 2003 - 2006 - (as produced by Murphy Models).

Look closely to see its missing the IE drivers window frames. Was repainted in 2006 in the same livery but slightly different, main change being the name plates are now red/white with red text. Still has the IE window frames

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rrpa_photos/126475/DSC_0159p1.jpg

Current Livery for all 3

8113 now has the LED lights but otherwise its as produced by Murphy Models

HTH

Edited by Blaine
  • Like 1
  • Informative 4

Definitely some scope to re-release these to cover the (in many peoples eyes) interesting early-mid 90's era, now that suitable coaching stock is to become available. The prices of all the second hand ones will presumably skyrocket due to the IRM announcement of NIR mk2b & c stock.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iarnrod said:

Currently one on ebay for £300GBP with 6 days remaining in the auction.

Insane when you can buy one from Chris Dyer, repainted into any livery you like, for less!

On 30/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, murphaph said:

Definitely some scope to re-release these to cover the (in many peoples eyes) interesting early-mid 90's era, now that suitable coaching stock is to become available. The prices of all the second hand ones will presumably skyrocket due to the IRM announcement of NIR mk2b & c stock.

PM must be facing quite the dilemma - get NIR locos out to haul the NIR coaches, or get coaches out that have only the A's available on the shelves to haul them.

32 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Insane when you can buy one from Chris Dyer, repainted into any livery you like, for less!

PM must be facing quite the dilemma - get NIR locos out to haul the NIR coaches, or get coaches out that have only the A's available on the shelves to haul them.

The ebay listing is offering a choice of either 112 or 113, but neither of these are suitable for hauling the NIR Mk.2's as they depict a mid-2000's livery variation for 112 and 113. The correct 1990's livery was never released by MM and can only be achieved either by a repaint or merging the top of MM0112, the bottom and glazing from MM8113 together to depict a 1990's version, which makes for a very expensive project at current prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iarnrod said:

The ebay listing is offering a choice of either 112 or 113, but neither of these are suitable for hauling the NIR Mk.2's as they depict a mid-2000's livery variation for 112 and 113. The correct 1990's livery was never released by MM and can only be achieved either by a repaint or merging the top of MM0112, the bottom and glazing from MM8113 together to depict a 1990's version, which makes for a very expensive project at current prices.

Exactly.

Those two locos will probably go for €450 each, so €900 for an appropriate loco or pay Chris less than a third of that for one in the correct livery.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:31 PM, iarnrod said:

can only be achieved either by a repaint or merging the top of MM0112, the bottom and glazing from MM8113 together to depict a 1990's version, which makes for a very expensive project at current prices.

Dont forget you also end up with 8113 in mid 2000's onwards condition with LED lights. If you want to be really strict a dab of red onto the sides of the light clusters

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Blaine said:

Dont forget you also end up with 8113 in mid 2000's onwards condition with LED lights. If you want to be really strict a dab of red onto the sides of the light clusters

Never thought of that. Takes some of the sting out of such a project as at least you can still end up with two prototypical locos with just a few minor modifications required.