What railway??

Rate this question

MD220

Question

Hi, I saw this old cast metal sign in a recent online auction (in Ireland). At first glance I thought it was Belfast & County Down but obviously the ampersand is in the wrong place. Does anyone know what railway it belongs to?

Cheers! 

20200804_232004.jpg

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

One I picked up recently and although its an enamel sign it shows the correct logo, no ampersand

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.055927aa60d5ad5c748131cfff5ece28.jpg

The BCDR did tend to often use just “BCDR” without the ampersand - however, it’s still a reproduction!

I saw, I think on done deal or fleabay, within the past year or two, one of those cast signs as above, which looked to be quite recently cast.

Someone still at it...... wonder could he run me off a pack of €200 notes!

10 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

One I picked up recently and although its an enamel sign it shows the correct logo, no ampersand

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.055927aa60d5ad5c748131cfff5ece28.jpg

That looks like the kind of thing, after a bashing around, a few pokes with a screwdriver and a spell in a container of tea could fool the experts.

Curiously missing the comma in Company's. Unlike these days, they were sticklers for correct punctuation.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 1