Lynton & Barnstaple.

Rate this topic

Broithe

A friend, with a more-than-amateur interest in railways, has been on holiday in Devon.

He's just posted some pictures, so I have stolen them.

They might be of interest to anyone with an L&B obsession?

1105594164_LB2.thumb.jpeg.a521bc5aca44e8eb8abf494f0ba0fbd3.jpeg

539014734_LB1.thumb.jpeg.0d2e6106f1e5857bb70328261146d9cb.jpeg

Apparently, there may be some more to come - I think he's waiting to get the film back from the chemist.

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Broithe said:

I thought it looked sort of familiar - I think this was at Warley the time I went - possibly 2011?

L&B World: more photos | The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway

190 is  a Manning Wardle, 762 is a Baldwin new 2017 build as the original one was scrapped , both lovely engines, Heljan make the Mannings and Baccy are doing a Baldwin, Peco have done the rolling stock so you can have your own piece of glorious Devon in your house!

image.thumb.png.73771e02078c87e981be9bbd507e88d9.png

Edited by Georgeconna
  • WOW! 1

Funny how taste goes. The millionaire racing driver Captain Howey, who built and owned the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, visited Barnstaple when the disposal auction for the L and B was taking place. As his biographer noted, he was probably the only person there who could have purchased the whole lot outright. However, he looked at the locos and dismissed them as ‘dreadful things with long funnels’ and walked away.....

• Like 2

190 is also a new build by the Ffestiniog Railway at Boston Lodge following the Manning Wardle design as amended by the Southern Railway addition (Lew) Its been around for a few years as I think its 10 year boiler inspection was due this year. One of my favourite performers . It was used a few years ago on the annual Ffestiniog Subscribers special to Dinas on the Welsh Highland and by hanging out of the first carriage window next to the loco I got an excellent video of it blasting back up to Rhydd Ddu driven by Paul Lewin (General Manager) who made the odd emergency stop to repair lineside fencing on the way.

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Funny how taste goes. The millionaire racing driver Captain Howey, who built and owned the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, visited Barnstaple when the disposal auction for the L and B was taking place. As his biographer noted, he was probably the only person there who could have purchased the whole lot outright. However, he looked at the locos and dismissed them as ‘dreadful things with long funnels’ and walked away.....

Crickey, Never heard that, Just what was he thinking! Must of been a rainy day!

The L&B remind me of the VOR Engines. always fancied those too (yes I know GWR!) all that Brass!

image.thumb.png.f7bce35211162a135c6d73e171dfbaeb.png

• 2 weeks later...