Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Westcorkrailway said:

Just ordered a Bandon tank from studio scale models...however not the full kit with the wheels, gearbox, coupling rods ect. i want to try use an old hornby B12 4-6-0 Chassis and try incorporate it rather then assembling the chassis of the model as from what i heard from another beginner is the hardest part by far as the there is not room for error. its a bit big and a bit long but no point not trying! if not then ill try putting the kit together as its meant to! ill find out in the coming months.

Image may contain: train and outdoor

Well while this wont work.....another strategy has come forth

Alex Duggan on facebook has started a Bandon tank 3d model designed for a B12 chassis that will be finished in the coming months no doubt. While its in the very early stages of testing right now. Its yet another step in the right direction for 3d printing. Of course while building a kit is much harder for somone of my experience to pull off this will be Much easier

Does anyone have any good photo's of the origional non belfair bandon tanks or anything that can help alex along with this undertaking? 

FB_IMG_1616799595182.jpg

FB_IMG_1616799599057.jpg

• Like 1

That’s looking most promising. Such impressive locos - classic BP lines.

As for the SSM chassis, there are a few jigs you can get which will help in assembly. Eg http://217.199.187.193/poppyswoodtech.co.uk/tools.html

As long as the axle holes and coupling rod holes are aligned, the chassis will roll. That’s the most critical thing. Everything else is just fiddling about, and a bit of patience. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

In your second last pic, on the right there are a couple of coaches. Are those the SECR models?

If so, they bear a "two-foot-rule" resemblance to the post-1903 MGWR designs. At least one ex-Midland coach did, in fact, operated briefly on the CBSCR main line immediately before the railcars came.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

In your second last pic, on the right there are a couple of coaches. Are those the SECR models?

If so, they bear a "two-foot-rule" resemblance to the post-1903 MGWR designs. At least one ex-Midland coach did, in fact, operated briefly on the CBSCR main line immediately before the railcars came.

They are southern bogey coaches of some description or another. Another thing in the works to make flying snail coaches out of them eventually

5 hours ago, David Holman said:

Will there be some weathering added?

Eventually there will be. Although i enjoy the idea of one of these being painted like this for an IRRS special!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Finnally got to run my A class in today, and hence was able to use my new fictional coaching stock and bulleid wagons glad to confirm that the A is in fact by far the most reliable locomotive ever run on my layout, even beating the extremely long wheelbase on my railcars.

My track is knackered from years of that LNER B12 thrashing it and never been cleaned. The A rounded it like it was floating on air

for comparison b121 stalled on the first 3 attempts I had on trying to move off. And C212 is running like a crossely in spirit, loud and spluttering all over the place and needing a burst of power in order to not stay with the heavy enough rake (not to mention half of it had plastic wheels!)

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2

Someone posted somewhere about wondering about a "commuter" service to Bandon prior to 1930 or thereabouts. So I dug out the 1926-30 working timetables tonight.

I had never heard of any such thing myself, unless perhaps in VERY early CBSC days.

So, perusal of above sources shows what I suspected; there is no commuter-type service in the 1920s at any rate - what there IS other than through trains to Kinsale, Clonakilty and Skibbereen is just one single working, which is that the 04:30 goods to Clonakilty Junction would return to Bandon, from where it added a brake coach to form an 09:00 MIXED to Cork. 

That seems to be the solitary working which conveyed passengers specifically between Bandon and Cork only (and points in between). 

In those days, there would have been no south-western Cork suburbs worthy of anything approaching an actual "commuter" service - mind you, today might be different if the line had survived - doubtless as a haven of ICRs or 2600s.