Wainthrop Bridge

Rate this topic

Si2020

17 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Classic Millstone Grit. Reminds me v much of holidays along Leeds and Liverpool canal and Worth Valley Rlwy

Thanks, at one show a well know modeller called it the Satanic North when he first saw the layout which I think describes it well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

So its been a while since I last posted. Not much has happened to be honest as with having all the show bookings cancelled/postponed there hasn't been a reason to set the layout up.

So here are a couple of photos taken at the 2016 Derby show, I think 🤔

IMG_7560.thumb.JPG.51842f33f78213572467ee0149d39170.JPGIMG_7562.thumb.JPG.a885646dd0409044ca3520e4d933b538.JPG

I am working my way though the pile of stock kits for the layout as old converted RTR stock is phased out. I will post up some photos of the kits as im building them if people are intrested?

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

So one of the main problems when you model an era or railway company that isn't in the main stream market means only one thing......Kit building the 95% of the stock.

So here is the start of a Dia 61 20T L&YR 6 wheel gaurds van being built from a D&S kit.

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a coat of L&YR blackberry black, some transfers and some wheels it made it on to the layout for a show or two.

IMG_1618.thumb.JPG.83ddc8ccd39b2a94904d115fc83c0fbc.JPG

The roof needs replacing with some brass sheet as the plasticard that it comes with is too thick and I will also add the missing rainstrips and chimney to prevent it being knocked off.

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I've updated this thread and not one to take things seriously.......

So occasionally at shows for the last hour or so we sometimes get some of the other EM stock that I own out and give it a run as I can't always have the layout set up at home.

So here we have, well I think the photo explains it all.

IMG_8942.thumb.jpg.c834a4f002380b6b48425155c401f862.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

So with a exhibtion booking for the Ally Pally show March 2022 getting ever closer I thought it was a good idea to crack on with some more stock for the layout.

So we have a L&YR 6 wheel brake third coach for the other end of the short 6 wheel coach set. In real life it was a 5 coach set but the platform isn't that big so its down to 3.

IMG_5626.JPG.397b098331491d399bc063d976b3534a.JPG

Still needs a bit more body work doing on the birdcage but its getting there.

• Like 4

On 18/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, Galteemore said:

Nice tidy work. Some complex shaping there to master, which you have. Neat work on the door ventilators.

Thank you, The most complex part to do was adding the beading between the windows and doors, as in the instructions it says to use fuse wire. I can't remember what ampage but it equates to under 0.3 wire in size, so I need to thin it down a bit more.

Just another 2 carragies to do.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent colouring,the street could do with a woman cleaning the steps,a couple of kids and some old glass milk bottles (plastercine make a small mould press them to size),maybe a chalk 12345789 hopscotch,the buildings are beautiful the cobbles are a bit clean,but the terrace houses are just beautiful. Love it.

On 27/1/2022 at 7:56 AM, Jaz avalley said:

Excellent colouring,the street could do with a woman cleaning the steps,a couple of kids and some old glass milk bottles (plastercine make a small mould press them to size),maybe a chalk 12345789 hopscotch,the buildings are beautiful the cobbles are a bit clean,but the terrace houses are just beautiful. Love it.

Thanks,

when the layout was built the standard of the figures for this period was in my opinion poor and I've not really got round to looking adding anything extra as this area is hidden from view a bit when you are viewing the layout from the front.

I did look at the cobbles and having lived in a town in North Yorkshire which is cobbles everywhere, when you start looking at them and even back in the 20s with photos, they where and are quite clean with the traffic going over them. It was only areas where livestock stood when you got any sort of dirt or what you could call rubbish at that time.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Si2020 said:

Thanks,

when the layout was built the standard of the figures for this period was in my opinion poor and I've not really got round to looking adding anything extra as this area is hidden from view a bit when you are viewing the layout from the front.

I did look at the cobbles and having lived in a town in North Yorkshire which is cobbles everywhere, when you start looking at them and even back in the 20s with photos, they where and are quite clean with the traffic going over them. It was only areas where livestock stood when you got any sort of dirt or what you could call rubbish at that time.

Fair points, I accept that many do not like poor figures,and your point over the cobbles makes sense. Thank you for the feedback.I lived Lancashire 1980s but accept that your time period is a totally different life style. 

So only my other point stands, love the layout :)

• Like 1

On 28/1/2022 at 9:12 PM, Jaz avalley said:

Fair points, I accept that many do not like poor figures,and your point over the cobbles makes sense. Thank you for the feedback.I lived Lancashire 1980s but accept that your time period is a totally different life style. 

So only my other point stands, love the layout :)

Thanks Jaz,

I also forgot to mention that the houses come off for when the layout is being transported and knowing my luck I would also be forever gluing the figures back on.

Its always a diffcult one when modelling pre-grouping years, as we only really have photos to work from and I know that when im doing a project for the layout that it can take as long if not longer looking at photos to make sure that things are correct for what I'm doing. I have to say though that its always nice to look back to see what things where like, pre modern times.

• Agree 1

And research photos are had to place often not being labelled either correctly or at all. The station I am doing is viewed 1960s and almost modern day, it is a preservation station, which has had goods imported from other stations, occasionally stock not meant for one’s area may have visited which can skew identifying things, sometimes where buildings were of a type you can easily mistake one geographical place for another, so I for one totally appreciate the research aspects. we do the best we can on a given day, technically in my own two eras only one lot of track work can be correct. plus my layout is static, I do not even have all your extras, careful storage and transportation,potential thefts of details, and potential damage,and keeping the trackwork in a working state, so many more issues and potential fails to a travelling layout. one of the details I like on yours is the black sooty look from the chimney smoke, little details like this can often not be recognised as a response to your research, but are part and parcel of the correct look.

Edited by Jaz avalley

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

So its been a while since I updated this layout thread so now I have got back from the London Festival of Railway modelling, I thought i would post up a photo or two.

The main bit of news is that we survived the frist show back with a layout. The last show i did back in 2020 was with Wainthrop and was a small local show of a club i use to be a member of just before the UK stopped everything in its covid tracks.

Fast forward 2 years and we may as well jump back in at the deep end at one of the bigger shows in the UK at Ally Pally.

On the whole the layout ran well and only spat its dummy out on a couple of occassions but I was happy with it. The show was extremly busy and the layout got some nice comments and a couple of invites.

Here are a couple of photos fro the weekend....

IMG_6877.thumb.JPG.f3eb1fc1561ed81f036a9db1b9cfeca4.JPG

CIFL6248.thumb.JPG.e86c55dd86d0b27f97f836c8ac4e8dd0.JPG

IMG_6846.thumb.JPG.0bc884326dce29b53cebe2c25a428248.JPG

IMG_6847.thumb.JPG.b72da0de00be5ca370209ef55ac99086.JPG

We even saw these guys, well the stand anyway.....only joking guys. They where extremely busy as well

IMG_6880.thumb.JPG.98e561860299d47674b1bdff2631f80a.JPG

And they very kindly let me stick some EM wheels in one of these and run it on the layout

IMG_6898.thumb.JPG.0344ecfb381fab5826dc7bbf88873724.JPG

A little out of era but it ran very nicely all the same.

Thanks

Simon

• Like 10

As we had the Deltic appear on the layout for the last hour and a bit for the show we also got out some other items that don't normally get a run out

CYPB1466.thumb.JPG.f618393979fea738826ea8451e9505cb.JPG

AXZC3050.thumb.JPG.1a099abd40856b140a43eda988fd4614.JPG

GTQY1540.thumb.JPG.5b557d2928cdd969575a90e61c6225a2.JPG

The tamper is still under construction so was having a test trip or two out. Just have another couple of them to build.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all,

So its been a while since I posted anything in here and after a weekend exhibting at the Perston Model railway exhibtion with Wainthrop. 

I had lost the enthusiasm for it over the past few months for various reasons. After getting the enthuisiam for it after the show again mostly due to the public showing lots of intrest in it, I have set my self a goal to get any outstanding kits and bits built or finshed off and to build some items that you can't get as kits or RTR.Learning some new skills as I go, but more on that in another post.

So first up is a second 6 wheel Bridcage 3rd brake which will eventually end up as a rake of 3. In real life they ran as a 5 coach set. Unfortunatly 5 is too long for my platform. Though knowing me, I may end up doing the 5 and then when they run on the layout it can be different numbers in the operating sequence.

As with most kist, once you have built one already you get to know the best way to build them so first up is to add the beeding, vents and the window drops on the doors.

14021718_1162817883784524_9077743926061780007_n.jpg.0b3a043c95d2a3052c446a5b3acf70e1.jpg

• Like 6