Killagan's Workbench

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

Well after test running one empty flat with a heavy rake of mixed stock behind I modified the flat to run better by the following;

1.Removed the brass flat washer between the bogies and body and inserted M3 steel washers.

2.Removed the couplings from the bogies and fitted kadees to the actual body.

I have been tested this arrangement for over 1 hour running forwards at a scale speed of 60MPH and backwards at 15MPH over various points and track configurations and so far no derailments. Please note my sharpest curve is 22"

That sounds like a successful modification. And very useful to know!

Was there much work involved in fitting the kadees to the body?

I glued a small piece of plastic in between the 2 frame sides and tapped a hole M2 then fitted a Kadee 141 coupling in a Kadee coupling box. It sounds worse than it was to do. The difficult part was making sure that the coupling height worked out ok. The photos at the link attached helps to see the set up and the result on the track.

SSM 42'flat Irish Model Railway with body mounted Kadee

SSM 42'flat Irish Model Railway with body mounted kadee

It does run well with this set up for me with large curves.

I glued a small piece of plastic in between the 2 frame sides and tapped a hole M2 then fitted a Kadee 141 coupling in a Kadee coupling box. It sounds worse than it was to do. The difficult part was making sure that the coupling height worked out ok. The photos at the link attached helps to see the set up and the result on the track.

SSM 42'flat Irish Model Railway with body mounted Kadee

SSM 42'flat Irish Model Railway with body mounted kadee

It does run well with this set up for me with large curves.

Nice work! I did a similar job on my converted Hornby flats as the bogie mounted couplers caused nothing but problems, especially when reversing.

• 2 months later...