Aircraft - ATC - late night listening

Rate this topic

Glenderg

I know of a few guys on the forum here who have an interest in the above, as do I, ( hoping to get a pilot's licence in a few years time when i can afford it) so I thought I'd post a few links. I listen to these regularly on http://www.liveatc.net and follow the flights on http://www.flightradar24.com

Liveatc has flight feeds of ground/tower/delivery of all airports in Ireland but the two most popular are Shannon( EINN) and Dublin (EIDW), Dublin being in the top 5 in the world, and Shannon in the top 50. Anyone afraid of flying/ should listen - they are the most professional folks in the world and regularly train continental controllers. Even the air side apron staff are beyond reproach. There is always a small bit of banter between various parties, but it's rare. Have a listen, it's worth it.

Then there is Shannon. Anytime after around 2 a.m. it becomes one of the most listened to feed in the world, as they are responsible for half of the oceanic traffic flying from Europe to the states. It also handles quiet a lot of emergencies due to the really long runway and "next parish over is new York" syndrome. Anyone who is up overnight can watch the flights on flightradar and listen to ATC comms at the same time.

There are times like now when trans Atlantic traffic is reduced, and there is an archive of atc recordings too, but the forums have cut down recordings of incidents posted, but you must be registered.

There is also http://www.avherald.com which posts incidents of everything from bird strikes to turbulence injuries, to serious accidents and almost accidents. All reported flights can be played back on flightradar24.

Liveatc has several thousand feeds of airports the world over, from Boston John in JFK, to the Aussie in Shannon ( YouTube it) and nearly all in English.

I know it's off topic to railways but it's something that keeps me company in the wee hours of morning, when a goods shed or signal box is being drawn up. Might be of interest to others.

Richie.

your a man after my own heart richie. they are great sites . i have a real tine virtual radar called an SBS1 by kinetic avionics. its as small box that is hooked up to a laptop picks up sds (automatic dependant survelance broadcast) from aircraft and shows it on the screen. every aircraft except the military have to have this transponder turned on by law. it gives info of the aircraft ie height, speed, type number etc. can pick up a signal from up to 300 miles, - more if you add a pre amplifer. its amazing how many aircraft are flying around irish airspace at any one time. :)

Anyone afraid of flying/ should listen - they are the most professional folks in the world and regularly train continental controllers. Even the air side apron staff are beyond reproach. There is always a small bit of banter between various parties, but it's rare. Have a listen, it's worth it.

This is good to show people who might be nervous about flying.

It's all remarkably calm and efficient.