-
Posts
1,317 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
14
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by popeye
-
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
popeye replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
The weathering really brings it to life. The oil cans are next? I think if they were dirty you would not notice them. -
Very nice paint job and looks great.
-
You can blend in weathering powers and don't varnish over it. The real wagons are not varnished
-
Excellent weathering on the roofs Can I just say that they all look very similar on the sides and if some light grey power was used on some wagons would help with variety. Not a criticism, I just think it would make them even better. I have attached a pic from Fred Dean to show what I mean.
-
I have done one, still not finished and another not started. Good luck.
-
Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus
popeye replied to Patrick Davey's topic in Irish Model Layouts
Very nice Patrick -
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
popeye replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
Thanks Alan, That makes sense, now I know more about hornblocks -
Alan's grubby little shunters thread
popeye replied to Tullygrainey's topic in British Outline Modelling
I know nothing about hornblocks but, If they move up & down could you do without the compensation beam? -
It might be easier to 3D print the whole thing Body, Roof, Floor and Bogies.
-
Great to see it in real life. Modelling of buildings, loco's, coaches and scenery were all top level.
-
Ulster Model Railway Club Exhibition, 15&16 August 2026
popeye replied to Tullygrainey's topic in What's On?
I will be at the Ulster Model Railway show this weekend and selling lots of second hand TTA wagons and 2 sets of 4 oil wagons that I have repainted, new transfers and weathered. Also some nice rail cranes some repainted and weathered. Hope to see you there. -
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
popeye replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
They look great and the roof detail does make them stand out from other models. Shades of green are always a problem. Mix your own to get the colour you are happy with. You can't go by photo's but it helps. In real life they were varied and aged so pick a shade you like. -
You do need to experiment with resins to find one that can flex enough without snapping. I have some CK Prints wagons and they are ok with putting wheels in.
-
4 wheel wagons don't usually need rocking W-irons and underframes could be made with a more flexible resin to get the wheels in.
-
Canarian Container Anorak
popeye replied to DJ Dangerous's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Very useful as the tops are not seen so much. -
Canarian Container Anorak
popeye replied to DJ Dangerous's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Nice weather and nice weathering -
Nice models and look great.
-
-
Kitchen worktop would work too.
-
Hornby Hand Crane. These are old with black base and red or yellow crane. I have painted the whole thing grey and then weathered it. Removed the oversized chains and replaced with 0.5mm string. Little metal hand cranks have also been added.
- 361 replies
-
- 15
-
-
New Projects. Some items that I have been weathering. 3 containers 1 x Dapol Cosco, 1 x Evergreen hand painted and 1 x Bachmann Consent. Hornby 75 Ton crane, the chains have been replaced with string since. Hornby TTA oil wagons, repainted, new transfers and weathered.
- 361 replies
-
- 13
-
-
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)