Were the IR and NIR mk2z/a/b/c's electrically compatible?

Rate this question

murphaph

Question

I stumbled across a couple of interesting pics of the 1991 Foynes Phoenix railtour. The pics show that the above coaches formed a rake hauled by 170. The coaches were all air braked so compatible in that regard but what about the electrical systems? The pics show an NIR EGV at one end of the train and an IR rebuilt Dutch van EGV at the other end. Was the Dutch van there just to provide extra power to the whole rake because of its length or were the electrical systems incompatible, requiring two separate EGVs for each part of the train?

https://images.app.goo.gl/Jrwkm7AsNBvDKSr49

NIR MK2's in Foynes

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

I stumbled across a couple of interesting pics of the 1991 Foynes Phoenix railtour. The pics show that the above coaches formed a rake hauled by 170. The coaches were all air braked so compatible in that regard but what about the electrical systems? The pics show an NIR EGV at one end of the train and an IR rebuilt Dutch van EGV at the other end. Was the Dutch van there just to provide extra power to the whole rake because of its length or were the electrical systems incompatible, requiring two separate EGVs for each part of the train?

NIR MK2's in Foynes

I dont think they were compatable .The train was coupled together except for the electrical systems they were two seperate systems  . A similer thing would happen with a eight piece plus Mk2D  sets were used two EGVs would be used , also when more than eight cravens were used in a set two GSV's would be used one at each end an the electrical systemd split in the centre .

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

I dont think they were compatable .The train was coupled together except for the electrical systems they were two seperate systems  . A similer thing would happen with a eight piece plus  Mk2D or cravens, two EGV or two gen vans would be used with a split in centre as the EGV or Gen van could only power about eight coaches .

At least with these things, the corridor gangways were more compatible. Cravens and other pre-1972 CIE stock were entirely incompatible with anything Mk 2 onwards (i.e. post-1972) on CIE.

7 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

At least with these things, the corridor gangways were more compatible. Cravens and other pre-1972 CIE stock were entirely incompatible with anything Mk 2 onwards (i.e. post-1972) on CIE.

I didn't mean Mk2 D and Cravens were compatable . When larege rakes of Mk2ds eight plus set were made up two mk2d EGVs were used , when large sets of cravens were used eight nine or ten cravens two GSV's were used one at each end .

I've seen a pic or video somewhere of two rebuilt Dutch vans topping and tailing a long mk2z-c rake. I think it was probably a special. I had always just assumed the whole train was electrically connected when running in this configuration but of course they could just have been running split like when the tpo mk1 egvs ran with the mk2ds.

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

NIR MK2's in Foynes

Wow - look at the state of that track by 1991. Sleepers half rotten.

On 26/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, flange lubricator said:

I dont think they were compatable .The train was coupled together except for the electrical systems they were two seperate systems  . A similer thing would happen with a eight piece plus Mk2D  sets were used two EGVs would be used , also when more than eight cravens were used in a set two GSV's would be used one at each end an the electrical systemd split in the centre .

I think the electrical incompatibility between the NIR and IE stock may have been related as much to different connectors as load. As you say, similar outcome to the Cravens and Mk.2AC.

1991. Is it really that long ago?

Edited by BSGSV
  • Like 1