Plough Vans Decoder

Rate this topic

Fowler4f

Agree with OB if you have that option. One of the other threads on the Ploughs highlighted this flickering issue probably because is 4 wheel and light relative to a bogie loco. I don't know if there were any decoder recommendations made, maybe check the DCC forum?

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/1/2021 at 3:40 AM, NIRCLASS80 said:

11 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

They work fine for me but light flickering is still an issue 

4 hours ago, Fowler4f said:

From the Top Man  @DCC Concepts ‘use any loco decoder with stay alive but don’t connect the Orange & Grey wires’

Easy for the vendor to say but NIrClass80 used one of theirs but still has flickering. I wonder if IRM has a recommendation for flicker free direct plug  DCC chip in the ploughs? @BosKonay

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

By the way the "use any decoder but don't connect the motor" certainly doesn't apply to ESU decoders and several other types. They use a back emf pulse from the motor to acknowledge the programming commands. That's why locos creep during programming. Perhaps the DCC concepts comments were limited to their decoders which I have no experience of but it shouldn't be assumed that this is valid for all makes.

To use a loco decoder as a function only decoder an appropriate resistor may be substituted but it needs to be beefy enough current wise not to burn out. Otherwise if you want to reprogram the decoder a motor needs to be connected across the terminals. Simple stay alives can also mess with programming by "swallowing" the command pulses rather than them reaching the decoder itself so watch for that.

How do I know this? I tried using a loco decoder to control the lights in the dummy car of the Bachmann 2700 set. I was scratching my head for a while wondering why I couldn't program it once installed but it was programmable on the ESU test bench.... because the motor is connected on the test bench. You live and learn.

• Informative 2