Fintona

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I thought I would start a new discussion on Fintona as I have great interest in trying to create its workings in a small shunting layout. Although I have had much assistance (off forum) from JB, I wanted to tease out the actual track plan. Norman Johnston’s diagram is good in terms of an illustration, however, the actual track plan is different in many aspects.

This plan, though not very clear, shows some detail.

A5D388AF-A464-4734-A6D8-51BE37674B72.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at many similar views in my collection and on line. I have noted the curved platform and track work to the left and the siding in the foreground (right) which became obsolete and overgrown.(above)

Some further details here, with some track lifted and ‘Dicks’ timber home when he’s resting between shifts.

8C70BBA0-0DCC-4E75-A18D-27F1B9F25D98.jpeg

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

Hi,

Any idea of a date for the above. Interesting is that the track on the left has been lifted, but the collection of passengers appear to be locals as opposed to a touring party of enthusiasts!

The siding on the extreme right seems to have been lifted in the early 1950s, but the main goods road on the left was lifted not long before closure. The picture is very likely to be within September 1957.

2 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Three days before the tram was taken to Belfast 28th Sept. 1957

Thank you both for that. Interesting that they were already hauling up the track before the actual last day.

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The siding on the extreme right seems to have been lifted in the early 1950s, but the main goods road on the left was lifted not long before closure. The picture is very likely to be within September 1957.

I printed a lof of stuff for Norman Johnson when he was writing the book on Fintona. One of a series of negatives were taken on 1st October, the day after closure. An old friend from Omagh, Ken Donald, sadly not with us any longer, helped push the tram out of the station area to couple up to the loco that took it away to Belfast.

Edited by GNRi1959
  • Like 2

Fascinating stuff. The tram must have made one of the fastest transitions to safe preservation in history! I came across some fascinating photos of the SLNC - which closed essentially at the same time as Fintona - a year after closure in 58. Think the vandals were better behaved back then!

B3B235DA-2FAC-4A44-A0F5-DC338E84894B.jpeg

550A6431-06FD-4DA5-B120-677FEA4038C0.jpeg

A1A2B498-E121-4996-BBD1-EDBBBBC335E0.jpeg

E2CBA51D-581F-4D14-BE39-D1AC56E13BA3.jpeg

• Like 1

I managed to get to our local library this morning and the Local History department were kind enough to allow me to copy an ordnance survey map showing the track layout clearly. It is similar to those shown here already, though it doesn’t show the curvature of the goods platform. I managed to set out a track drawing from this using grids to get my proportions correct and it seems to be a good do-able project.

It would be worth while having a look for Vol 1 RM Arnold's Golden Years of the GNR through the library system if you do not have a copy. Mac Arnold focused on train working and the people that worked the railway more folklore than a conventional railway history.

• Like 1