A class decoder

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi, I finally got a chance to put a EMD Sound Decoder (from IRM) in to my A class loco 018 (superb loco). F1,F2,and F3 work fine. F4,F5, F6 ,F7 and F13 are a no show. All the rest work fine. I am using a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance controller. Someone tell me what I am doing wrong, please.

Thanks,

Controller.

9 answers to this question

Hi Garfield, I tried a different decoder (one from my MM 201) in 018. The same problems occurred. No F4 5 6 or 7 . The headlight came on with F8, but in the wrong direction. No cab or engine room lights. I don't know if the problem is with the loco or the decoder.

Thanks,

Controller.

1 hour ago, controller said:

Hi Garfield, I tried a different decoder (one from my MM 201) in 018. The same problems occurred. No F4 5 6 or 7 . The headlight came on with F8, but in the wrong direction. No cab or engine room lights. I don't know if the problem is with the loco or the decoder.

Thanks,

Controller.

Hi,

Hope Garfield doesn't mind me popping up to possibly help.

Having had a play with the decoder and I apologise if im teaching you to suck eggs as they say, but the functions you mention are sound ones and not physicle ones. So pressing them and expecting to see something happen, wont get a result you could see in say a light lighting up.

F5 is listed as drive hold, so when the loco is moving you press F5 which keeps it at that speed and then when you increase the speed steps then the engine revs up but loco stays a the same speed.

F6 - you would only notice if you move the loco forwards and then stop straight away. Ie it will stop suddenly and not roll as per normal operation

F7 - is down as flange squeal so you wouldnt hear that unless the loco is moving and im guessing it may only trigger after a certain speed step.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by Si2020
  • Informative 1

Hi, Thanks Simon, that helps a great deal. I saw a list of all the functions for this decoder on the forum some time back, I should have printed it off . The problem remains about the lights, headlight, cab, engine room, none of them are working. Hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Once Again Thanks,

Controller.

9 hours ago, controller said:

Hi, Thanks Simon, that helps a great deal. I saw a list of all the functions for this decoder on the forum some time back, I should have printed it off . The problem remains about the lights, headlight, cab, engine room, none of them are working. Hope you can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Once Again Thanks,

Controller.

Morning,

I haven't got the new function list on the phone (I'm sure the IRM guys can point you in the right direction of it), but off the top of my head i think the following are the Function keys you need to press to get the ones you list to work:

F0 Lights - if you mean the marker lights

F22 - head light

F23?    - Cab lights  - this is one of the ones that changed so I may be wrong so sorry in advance.

F25 - engine room

Hope the above helps and there is a Fucntion list on the back inside cover of the manual.

Thanks
Simon

• Informative 1

Hi Simon, I haven't tried those functions yet, I didn't know they went up that far. Shows you how much I know about decoders. Have to go and do some work now, but I will give them functions a try in the evening. I will give the lads in IRM a shout about that decoder function list. Thanks for all your help.

Controller.

Thank you DJ, Your a gentleman. 

Controller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1