Preserved Mainline Diesels

Rate this topic

Firstly, my apologies if there is already a thread on this. I've searched back the last year or two and cannot find one.

Just thought that it might be an idea to have a resource thread like this one for news and information on the preserved mainline diesels on the island.

I know that the RPSI have B134 looking like it's nearing completion, B142 awaiting repairs at Whitehead, and B141 and 175 stored at Connolly.

The ITG have A39R and 146 operational at Downpatrick, plus 226 and C231 under restoration at Carrick-on-Suir and Downpatrick respectively.

In storage at Moyasta, they have A3R, 124, 152 and 190, while B103 is stored at Carrick-on-Suir.

A Class number 015, owned by Jackie Whelan, is also stored at Moyasta.

If anybody has any more to add, please do so!

I've linked each loco number to where I got the information, so as of today it would seem to be accurate.

Thanks, @Westcorkrailway.

I had forgotten about the A55 shell at Hells Kitchen, Castlerea.

I didn't include the shunters as I wasn't sure that they were considered as mainline locos.

B113 at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra, is also new to me!

Hunslett no. 102 is also at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum!

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Firstly, my apologies if there is already a thread on this. I've searched back the last year or two and cannot find one.

Just thought that it might be an idea to have a resource thread like this one for news and information on the preserved mainline diesels on the island.

I know that the RPSI have B134 looking like it's nearing completion, B142 awaiting repairs at Whitehead, and B141 and 175 stored at Connolly.

The ITG have A39R and 146 operational at Downpatrick, plus 226 and C231 under restoration at Carrick-on-Suir and Downpatrick respectively.

In storage at Moyasta, they have A3R, 124, 152 and 190, while B103 is stored at Carrick-on-Suir.

A Class number 015, owned by Jackie Whelan, is also stored at Moyasta.

If anybody has any more to add, please do so!

I've linked each loco number to where I got the information, so as of today it would seem to be accurate.

~A55 at castlerea railway meuseum

~the various G class and E class locos at carrick, dunsandle and downpatrick

~ the sulzer at cultra as well

~C202/227 god only knows where

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

By "mainline" I'm guessing anything ex-CIE/IR or NIR?

In that case...

E Class: E421 and E432 at Downpatrick; E428 at Dunsandle.

G Class: G611 (ITG), G613 and G617 (ITG) at Downpatrick; G601 and G616 at Carrick-on-Suir (both ITG)

Prototype Sulzer 1100/B113 at Cultra

NIR Hunslet/BREL No. 102 'Falcon' at Cultra

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

~A55 at castlerea railway meuseum

~the various G class and E class locos at carrick, dunsandle and downpatrick

~ the sulzer at cultra as well

~C202/227 god only knows where

The G & E classes....  E421 & E432 at Downpatrick, and E428 at Dunsandle. None in working order, though the pair at Downpatrick, E421 in particular, are very much restorable. E428 would require a great deal more work, as many bits are faulty, broken or missing - one major part which is beyond help and would need to be replaced was priced at £5000 sterling about 20 years ago.

G611, G613 and G617 are at Downpatrick, with G617 in working order. Again, the other two could easily be fixed up; time, manpower and money permitting. G613 is owned by the DCDR, the other two by the ITG.

G601 and G616 are at Carrick, neither working, both ITG-owned.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

A few select people know where C202/C227 is but I believe we won’t be seeing it anytime soon 

728210F6-9EC7-4E26-BF51-22BACB9DA071.thumb.jpeg.a8ae8460d592f049ad95366644fddaab.jpeg
Nor former CIE/NIR for the Craic, CSE locos are at whitehead, belturbet and Clonakilty model railway village. One was at halfway vintage club until 2018 with a bulleid open wagon and a 20t brakevan. All since moved somewhere else mysterious

also the K class may not be in Ireland anymore but they are…..somewhere in the Far East and….wales 

There is also that load of English stuff (austerity tank engine, railbus ect) at carlingford brewery railway in the north. Not at all for this list but worth mentioning there there 

• Informative 1

The K class was broken up years ago mostly at Oranmore, bit by bit - first there was the basic loco minus many a thing, then much of that was disposed of, then finally the basic shell of the engine block.

The two surviving CSET steam locos are, of course, two-thirds of Downpatrick's steam fleet (both currently in working order, I think) with the other third of that fleet being GSWR 90.

• Informative 1