Moyasta

Rate this topic

airfixfan

Some good news Clare County Council approved a planning application for a 1506SqM Railway Museum at Moyasta during Nov 2019. https://www.planningalerts.ie/application?pref=555AA620181195A5C00024809833CEAC097DFD

I don't know if the application relates solely to a museum/store for ITG stock or a West Clare MuseumThere is a €29.37 subscription to view the file on-line.

The ITG had applied and failed to obtain planning permission several years ago as a large industrial (museum) building would have been out of keeping with the open (windswept) landscape of the area

The ITG web site admits that some of the locos are long term restoration projects and some are simply stored as a source of spares.

• Like 1

You can search the Clare Co Co website for planning applications. Just Putin Moyasta in the location field and museum in the description field and 3 applications are returned. The one in 2019 seems to be just for retention of PP granted back in 2010 but I didn't go into the files.

• Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Is it ITG or Jackie Whelan looking to create the museum?

What is the relationship between them does anyone know?

The museum is Jackie Whelan's project, as is the rest of the operation at Moyasta. The ITG stock is there with the intention of being housed in the museum when it is constructed. There were no other feasible alternatives at the time the ITG had to vacate Inchicore Works.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

12 minutes ago, Garfield said:

The museum is Jackie Whelan's project, as is the rest of the operation at Moyasta. The ITG stock is there with the intention of being housed in the museum when it is constructed. There were no other feasible alternatives at the time the ITG had to vacate Inchicore Works.

The wikipedia page for the ITG suggested something different:

"The group is also building a museum at Moyasta on the West Clare Railway to hold some of their locomotives. At present four locomotives, A3R, 124, 152, and 190 are located in Moyasta."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traction_Group#External_links

6 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

The wikipedia page for the ITG suggested something different:

"The group is also building a museum at Moyasta on the West Clare Railway to hold some of their locomotives. At present four locomotives, A3R, 124, 152, and 190 are located in Moyasta."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Traction_Group#External_links

I wouldn't be relying on Wikipedia for definitive information. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garfield said:

I wouldn't be relying on Wikipedia for definitive information. :) 

Quite. The ITG are not building a museum but are supportive of Jackie's efforts, he has faced many hurdles and does not get much support from any quarter, least of Internet and social media commentators, and souvenir hunters who trespass and break bits off our locos to take home or sell.

As to the success or otherwise of his venture, I don't know. If someone else has a railway or a secure storage site that they can provide and pay for, we would be delighted to hear from you.

Edited by Mike Beckett
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Sorry guys from the photos posted on Facebook earlier this week all the ex CIE stock appeared to have been well trashed with photos inside coaches and Diesel locos for example.

What photographs? I've seen images of the Mk3 DVT and A15, but the ITG locos are all under tarpaulins.

• Like 1

There's some unhealthy level of toxicity in the world of Irish railway preservation - I'm so glad to be long out of it.

There's some pictures of Moyasta here - no date - but I suspect quite recent. http://www.industrialheritage.eu/2021/European-Year-Rail/ENDANGERED/IE/rolling-stock-at-Moyasta4

I moved on to check on the ITG and there's some appalling stuff about them posted by some Aussie (?) nutter on Facebook - evil people etc. They are probably responsible for Covid-19 too. There would be no standard gauge diesel preservation in Ireland were it not for the efforts of WISRA, GSRPS  and head and shoulders above the rest - the evil ITG.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The “eval ITG” (deliberately misrepresenting-spelt) came about as a humorous skit.

This followed the appearance a few years ago of a Facebook page whose aim was to discredit the DCDR. At one point the ITG were described within this as “evil”. The FB page was mis-spelt, with poor grammar too. This led to banter between various people who knew the story, privately making fun of this FB page, along the lines of “Iff them Eval IT’G typeS do& nOT Restire theStesm Engin, We Will @proTEST....” etc etc.....!

......all written in that style!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 year later...

Just to update this project - yes, it's Jackie & Pauline Whelan who applied; the ITG are simply allowed an area to store their stuff.

An initial funding application was prepared, submitted and processed, but rejected some time back. It is my understanding that the Whelans are still investigating other funding options, or "tweaking" the rejected application. The fact that they have planning permission will give a few "brownie points" to their funding application.

Should their centre find funding and is built, the ITG will be allowed (indeed, encouraged) to display some of their items there, cosmetically restored, in perpetuity.

Here's hoping....

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Roughly how much does one of those giant corrugated boxes that covers a loco or coach cost?

Likewise how much do those giant tarps cost?

I saw this lovely video on YouTube:

I love that these locos somehow survived the cutters torch and are just chilling out by kilkea. I really need to visit 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

poor coaches, Were they tagged down there or before they arrived?

They sat down in the Sherrif Street yard after being withdrawn from service as far as I know, so they may have arrived like that. Either way, at least they haven't been cut up!

Edited by skinner75
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Garfield said:

As far as I know, 015 is owned by Jackie Whelan, who operates the setup at Moyasta. There may be a few others involved, too.

Correct, plus the usual facebook heroes wanting to restore it to mainline condition. Was originally preserved in place of 001 by Irish Rail but quickly turned in a spares box for 003/039