Jump to content
  • 0

Track ballast / scenics

Rate this question


jhb171achill
 Share

Question

Question - I have heard that in order to look somewhat "past its best", N gauge ballast is suitable for 00 scale track, perhaps with small amounts of 00 scale ballast scattered here and there too. I would be interested if anyone could point me in the direction of photos of track done in this way. Quite soon, I will have a serious amount of ballasting and scenics to do, and I want certain sidings to look prototypically neglected, with main running lines varying from old to pretty good and well kept.

Any thoughts / ideas / photos very welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I would say that N Gauge if preferable in any circumstances to the supposedly 00 Gauge stuff that I have seen, in an 00 scenario.

The alleged 00 stuff is generally well over-sized for its intended use.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

When the through tracks were reballasted at Ballybrophy, it was fairly chunky stuff, in real world terms, but still probably smaller than N Gauge ballast against 00 track, I think.

DSC_0318.thumb.JPG.0ef1193c9449e71fccb0c21b9a6b8e81.JPG

However, ballast that is actually to scale may well appear to be too fine - looking right matters more than being technically accurate in this situation.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Question - I have heard that in order to look somewhat "past its best", N gauge ballast is suitable for 00 scale track, perhaps with small amounts of 00 scale ballast scattered here and there too. I would be interested if anyone could point me in the direction of photos of track done in this way. Quite soon, I will have a serious amount of ballasting and scenics to do, and I want certain sidings to look prototypically neglected, with main running lines varying from old to pretty good and well kept.

Any thoughts / ideas / photos very welcome.

Javis ultra fine granite can look the business. It's much finer than their 'fine' version. Used this on Gort.

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Interesting! Never been keen on the Jarvis stuff, while fine granite can look very green - but certainly not here!

 Still find Woodland Scenics hard to beat and use their fine ash even in 7mm. They do several colours and mixing the pale with brown can work well for newish ballast. I think the stuff is made from crushed coconut shells, so is fairly light too.

 A pox on my spellchecker - substituted Jewish, for newish. As if, already....

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, David Holman said:

Interesting! Never been keen on the Jarvis stuff, while fine granite can look very green - but certainly not here!

 Still find Woodland Scenics hard to beat and use their fine ash even in 7mm. They do several colours and mixing the pale with brown can work well for newish ballast. I think the stuff is made from crushed coconut shells, so is fairly light too.

 A pox on my spellchecker - substituted Jewish, for newish. As if, already....

That would be matzo ballast..?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 14/6/2022 at 3:50 PM, Broithe said:

When the through tracks were reballasted at Ballybrophy, it was fairly chunky stuff, in real world terms, but still probably smaller than N Gauge ballast against 00 track, I think.

DSC_0318.thumb.JPG.0ef1193c9449e71fccb0c21b9a6b8e81.JPG

However, ballast that is actually to scale may well appear to be too fine - looking right matters more than being technically accurate in this situation.

This is exactly the point I was going to make myself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

As well as the grain size I do think the actual colour itself can say a lot about the condition of the ballast.

Having done this recently, should I want to repeat the build I would use a much darker shade to insinuate older ballast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use