UTA railcars 6 & 7

Rate this topic

colmflanagan

It's been a while since I posted anything here, and this project began way back in 2020  when i got side etches for UTA railcars 6&7.

these two were the final UTA "experimental" diesel railcars, into service in 1951 and survived in operation until the mid sixties. They provided a kind of "test bed" for the dieselization of the Bangor line . 

In service they were very successful though looking at plans shows many seats crammed in!  They are converted (as most were) from exLMS coaches, and retained their panelling. 

I already have models of Nos1,4, and 5, MEds and MPDs so this set completes my stud of  UTA railcars.

Anyway, they use Allen Doherty etched sides based on Mainline/Dapol LMS coaches; I've modelled them in late condition with all the engines etc exposed.

Power is a Tenshodo "spud" bogie; not entirely successful, unfortunately - it just does not like some crossovers on my railway, and freezes occasionally. They are no longer made-I have a suspicion that somehow this one was left on a shelf,

or maybe even was a return, which I bought when everyone had forgotten it was faulty...!   But for now it stays. The roofs still need attached properly, but I haven't figured that out yet. I could glue them, but then could not access the motor bogie, as I think I will need to.

And yes, I know they are a bit "narrow" - the centre window is slightly wider than mine, but I used a modified BR railcar front end which looks better than anything I could do myself.

Anyway, nothings perfect. But at least I have made them, after some years delay..

Colm Flanagan

6&7  #1.JPG

6&7 #3.JPG

676 #2.JPG

• Like 15
  • WOW! 3

• 3 months later...