”West Cork Railways, Birth, beauty and betrayal

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

0A4E35D3-1A92-429A-B2D6-24BAE1BFEDF1.thumb.jpeg.0998624e49d39da9c207c62f1e550c0a.jpeg

The definitive West Cork Railway Book is on the way out

Chris larkins new book “The Railways of West Cork, birth beauty and betrayal ”covers every aspect from social history to railway history in this new book that’s been in production for years. 

Those of us living in West Cork have probobly attended one of his lectures of talks about the railway. His memories and Reminiscent’s have been building over the past number of years 

With almost all the images In this book never published before.  

Pre-order with the link below 👇

https://www.mercierpress.ie/irish-books/west-cork-railways/?fbclid=IwAR0Kl6XAw5Ujo0IRfR4lobnPP18U9CQqZjP7Y1bpCxhKX3YCfmi-x1nxGRo&fs=e&s=cl

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, Auto-Train Original said:

The line to Bandon at least should have been retained.

That was the plan put in place…close the branchlines to courtmacsherry, Clonakilty and Baltimore. And even the mainline wouldn’t go to Bantry…just bandon. This plan was however scrapped, became the plan one final time before andrews killed any chance of it going through. It was lifted and sold ASAP. CIE put an abandonment order on 50 miles of trackbed that still had track left or be lifted! That whole line as far as bandon was built to be doubled by government order during the famine so imagine a double track out to bandon today! 

I have a feeling that the intense save our railway committee and court cases didn’t help the west cork case unfortunately. The youghal Middleton branch got off lighter thanks to TD Martin Correy 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my book today after a hoot bit of waiting. I thought perhaps a few pages wouldn’t hurt even though my assignments are due! (I’ll actually review it when I get the chance to read it properly) a little sneak peak of what’s to come for those who have ordered and not yet received. 

there are about 15 or so pages like this in the book where 2 pages will hold just one photograph! 

Reminder if your In cork on December 3rd Myself, Chris Larkin and Ray Good will be holding the boom launch during cork model swap meet at 12:00. With book signings of course being part of it. If you are further west there will be a slideshow presentation on November 27th in Gaggin community hall….more dates to come for west corkians as mentioned before.  

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

216590AD-F832-4BF2-B16B-50C972B6C229.thumb.jpeg.1268b4c1b05256bb63f298a359b5ee7e.jpeg

C86C770B-AF6A-407C-8335-8D0579CF9CD4.thumb.jpeg.f6296fa870287ad92251e43c689c7b39.jpeg

50BC74B8-2B85-4289-877C-0E324CF6CE5E.thumb.jpeg.e49e15e88d066e9eaad9b818eabdef93.jpeg

sucess! We sold almost exactly 100 books at the launch! The going was steady and a thoroughly enjoyable event. Poems were read by the likes of Ray Good, Tom Ryan and Derry Canty. 

with the book launched….I can set back and relax finnally! (Well someway)

A review on West Cork Railway colourised will soon follow  

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Bob229 said:

Good start for the book sale must order one looks a good size book,  

Fine model of the A class in the background 

That is a C class model presented to CIE by metropolitan vickers….so a highly historic model. Only 2 of these along with 2 A class locos were every known to be produced and given to CIE….1 of each is known to still exist 

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

17 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

That is a C class model presented to CIE by metropolitan vickers….so a highly historic model. Only 2 of these along with 2 A class locos were every known to be produced and given to CIE….1 of each is known to still exist 

There used to be one in the waiting room of the Dept of Transport outside the ministers private office. There was also a 141 class similar scale (ie sort of gauge 1 scale).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I should have know that, a fine model

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Bob229 said:

I should have know that, a fine model

Loco belongs to Kevin Meany….I wonder if it went for auction how much twould go for 

12 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It's annoying that few of the images give the source or the photographer credit.

On page 233 there is a list of acknowledgements and sources of images? 

12 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Some I recognise from Irish Railways in Colour.

there are about 10 images that have been published before in this book by my reckoning (2 in the books you mention). IMHO I wouldn’t put that as too much of a dent in the 240 images present. 

I'll have another look but flicking back and forth to a page to find out who took it and when is equally if not more annoying!

EDIT looking at it again, there are pages with say two images, two photographers credited, but you don't know who took which photo. Dates or even year of image not stated. Not really good enough in my opinion.

Edited by minister_for_hardship