I Would Like To Thank This Forum Member...

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

Many years ago, in the pre-social network days, I was a member of a Tenerife forum on the 'net.

A member, Young Golfer was his username, started a thread named as I have named this one.

In the face of the nastiness and carry on of some members, it was a breath of fresh air.

So, I decided to start a thread for the same reason here.

There are already one or two threads, although in hindsight they may seem a little pretentious, thanking Paddy Murphy for his models etc, but this is more for thanking another forum member when they help you out or do something nice for you.

I'll start the ball rolling, with the most recent case of a forum member doing something very nice for me - and there have been several of you over the last couple of years!

A couple of weeks ago, @murphaph and family came down for a visit.

First up, I received a few nice surprises on their arrival, with which I was delighted!

Not sure if it's common knowledge here on the forum, but my sort of "cause" in life is animal welfare.

I founded a small association named "AsoCat" / "Cats Aid Tenerife" (an association is the loose equivalent of a charity in English) with the aim of helping some of the many many abandoned cats on the streets.

This place is like paradise, and attracts many immigrants, specially Brits and Paddies. The first thing that most want to do is adopt a cat or a dog to show their friends and family back home what a success they are. They tend not to bother with microchips, vaccines or castration, as those things require time, care and commitment. Three months later when things go belly up, the cat or dog gets dumped and the immigrants do a runner to somewhere else.

The two things that are always in short supply are hours and donations.

Volunteers come and go, but rarely stick more than a few hours, if they even show up.

I suspect that they expect to have very little to do, and have many people patting them on the back...

But it's quite the opposite.

You're invisible, derided by most of the people who do come across you, fighting ignorance and nastiness for a couple of hours every single night.

I work a normal cleaning type job during the day, and do my voluntary work at night.

Anyhow, I digress...

Mr. @murphaph and family came with me one of the nights to see some fo what I do - not all of it, as it's hard to stick at it for the whole night, but a good chunk of it.

They also came to visit me in my apartment, and see the cats in my care.

The long and the short of it is that, aside from setting up a monthly donation to the association, they arrived at my apartment with a massive surprise for the cats.

Might seem frivolous to some people, but to me, it meant the world.

So, I'd like to thank Mr. @murphaph and family for their kindness, compassion and generosity.

I hope that this thread gives other forum members the opportunity to thank those who deserve it accordingly.

708152096_2022-09-0517_36_20.jpg

• Like 14

Thank you @murphaph for first dibs on that very expensive locomotive for sale, from somone who’s only income is lunch money and the odd tenner from the grandparents (I know I’m in the wrong hobby!) I really apericiate the gesture of seeing my post and jumping on it!.

Thanks to @DJ Dangerous for not only offering to hold my baby 141 for me, but also giving me tips on how to get around “his turf”! While I’m here. I’m leaving tenerife tommorow with my lads…

thanks to @leslie10646 and @jhb171achill for helping me get a small custom-made locomotive across the water. Hopefully on my return from holiday it will have returned from its minor overhaul 

There is countless others I could thank on this tightly knit community. I joined about 2 years ago looking for advice on a layout I haven’t even started now 2 years on. But now it’s amongst my most used apps alongside Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube….NO easy feat  for a teenagers smartphone!

• Like 9

• 6 months later...