Class 33 repaints being sold as murphy models originals.

Rate this topic

Darren.d

Was on ebay recently and came across what was advertised as a murphy models class 33 in supertrain livery.i bid on it at about 80 pounds sterling and decided to look online at some pics of the model on the forums.the one on ebay just didn't look the same.the seller on ebay said was from a trainset but didnt have 215 on the corners and the tippex stripe was very thick looking compared to others id seen online.my question is are there variations of the model,or are they all the same?I withdrew my bid.curious as to know are there fakes out there .

Cheers

Dar.

Edited by Darren.d
Left out model class number

On 28/10/2022 at 3:02 PM, Darren.d said:

Was on ebay recently and came across what was advertised as a murphy models class 33 in supertrain livery.i bid on it at about 80 pounds sterling and decided to look online at some pics of the model on the forums.the one on ebay just didn't look the same.the seller on ebay said was from a trainset but didnt have 215 on the corners and the tippex stripe was very thick looking compared to others id seen online.my question is are there variations of the model,or are they all the same?I withdrew my bid.curious as to know are there fakes out there .

Cheers

Dar.

I've a pair of the 1970 variants in ST livery. I use them as scenic yard waste (ie rusting lines). Worthless IMHO, except for nostalgia reasons. CIE never ran anything that looked even vaguely like them. Just BR Blue class 33s covered with orange paint. Awful runners, they can do scale speeds of 200mph and sound like tractors as all junk heap Lima's of that vintage did.

LimaCIE_Class33s.JPG

I have about 10 of these Lima BR Mk1s also. Again CIE had nothing like this except for highly modified BSK/BCK GSV (generating and heating vans), but these BR Mk1s don't even pass as Cravens or Liminates at 10ft rule. Only reason I keep them boxed away is childhood nostalgia as I bought these in the 1970s.

IMG_5419_3.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I've a pair of the 1970 variants in ST livery. I use them as scenic yard waste (ie rusting lines). Worthless IMHO, except for nostalgia reasons. CIE never ran anything that looked even vaguely like them. Just BR Blue class 33s covered with orange paint. Awful runners, they can do scale speeds of 200mph and sound like tractors as all junk heap Lima's of that vintage did.

LimaCIE_Class33s.JPG

I have about 10 of these Lima BR Mk1s also. Again CIE had nothing like this except for highly modified BSK/BCK GSV (generating and heating vans), but these BR Mk1s don't even pass as Cravens or Liminates at 10ft rule. Only reason I keep them boxed away is childhood nostalgia as I bought these in the 1970s.

IMG_5419_3.jpg

Same, nostalgia is a strong driver of collecting.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

IMG_5419_3.jpg

And a grey roof instead of black! They might as well have painted the wheels and ends fluorescent pink……!

Yes, as you say, nostalgia value….!

• Like 1

This is purely nostalgia for me.an interesting part of irish model rail history.first train set i had was the c.i.e superfreight set from hornby.have recently bought 2 c.i.e hymeks and wagons that were in the set..as of this I'm only getting into the hobby over the last couple of years.

16674033905431533415685228413823.jpg

16674036431284764871780512017838.jpg