Class 92 Caledonian Sleeper Loco Detail Differences

Rate this topic

Hi Divecontroller,  I'm sure this is not much help, but 92010 is an accruscale exclusive and has no polo mint logos which 92038 has, other than that I'm at a loss as to which one to Get as I don't do much British outline, but man they look something else, also missed the Caledonian coaches as well, cough, cough lads.😁😁

11 minutes ago, John-r said:

Hi Divecontroller,  I'm sure this is not much help, but 92010 is an accruscale exclusive and has no polo mint logos which 92038 has, other than that I'm at a loss as to which one to Get as I don't do much British outline, but man they look something else, also missed the Caledonian coaches as well, cough, cough lads.😁😁

That’s pretty much it John. We should have a small number of sleeper packs to sell once they get here in a few weeks time. 

5 hours ago, John-r said:

An Accurascale exclusive in what sense? Not for sale by other retailers? @BosKonay

I notice some small red and white paintwork detail on the bogies of 92038. Is this on some of the class , or a more recent livery variation on some?

And ok, I guess most know what a polo mint logo is but I'm as stumped as the first time someone told me my CIE  loco had a broken wheel on it ....... lol

EDIT: OK, I see it blurred out on the only photo of 92038. Can someone elaborate on  "polo mints" Channel Tunnel logos which are such a feature of the real locomotives please?

Edited by DiveController

It was the European Passenger Services livery, which was derived from the BR Trainload freight standard triple-grey livery as the locos involved were, IIRC, part of the trainload freight sector, to identify UK locos involved with international operations and the tunnel in one way or another. The three metal segments are intended to represent the cross section of a tunnel receding into the distance.

A quote discovered here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/92009.46162/

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BosKonay said:

That’s pretty much it John. We should have a small number of sleeper packs to sell once they get here in a few weeks time. 

Thanks Stephen, will keep watching my emails, 👍.

Galteemore, great explanation of the polo mint logos, I didn't know that either thank you.

Dive, what 92 are you thinking of getting, saw 92010 on display at the mrsi show recently and have to say they look stunning along with the Caledonian coaches.

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

Can someone elaborate on  "polo mints" Channel Tunnel logos which are such a feature of the real locomotives please?

They were attached to any loco that was to travel through the tunnel, or associated with Channel Tunnel trains, ie diesel locos bringing trains to the UK portal at Dollands Moor to hand over to 92's. This is why the EPS 37/6's had the cast Polos as they were intended to bring the Nightstar Channel Tunnel Sleepers as far as the portal, the Railfreight Distribution 'European' 47's had smaller painted on ones under the drivers side window, as they were bringing freight to the portal. The EPS 73's just got them to look cool I reckon, used mainly for Eurostar towing and recovery

• Like 2

17 hours ago, John-r said:

Dive, what 92 are you thinking of getting, saw 92010 on display at the mrsi show recently and have to say they look stunning along with the Caledonian coaches.

Kinda like the 92038 with the mints now that I've noticed them but  92010 looks very clean, so might preorder one but what to do if  a few packs become available, maybe I could combine the orders at a later date to minimize shipping costs?

Incidentally a Class 89 is on my list now too, I remember her at Newcastle in the white letters in another lifetime 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Items tagged exclusive are only available from us directly and not from retailers. For the 92 Rails of Sheffield  have a pair of grey ones exclusively to them and Kernow Model Rail Centre are offering the Eddie Stobart edition. 

OK, I just figured that out as there is no logo on the IRM site only the accurascale site

• Like 1