sulzers and tablet catchers

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

hi lads, now that des has released the sulzer kit, im picking brains again! did the 1100 and the B101 sulzers ever have tablet catchers fitted? cant find any pics of with then on, but if the steamers, the metro vic and 141's had them, it seems logical to conclude that they were fitted, being the locos that bridged the gap between them. any thoughts?

18 answers to this question

i remember well when i was a nipper at school, one of the 101's past by our classroom and the engine 'thunk thunk' sound rattled the bejasus out of the windows! she didnt have any fitted at that time. you may ask how i remember so well? the brother threw a wooden duster at me and knocked me sideways! ..(the f...er!). it was that sudden impact that started my love for trains....and a hatred of school!:rolleyes:

thanks for the replies john and paul!

I don't think they had snatchers mainly being Southern engines there was no need, apart possibly from Rosslare-Mallow most ex-GSWR single lines did not have staff exchange apparatus until after the B101s were bumped from Top Link duties.

Snatcher operation was introduced on the Cherryville-Waterford line in the early 70s for the short lived Deisceach Express and Rosslare-Limerick (jnt) in connection of the diversion of the Cork Rosslare Boat Trains via Clonmel and Limerick Junction.

Some of the B101 class were fitted with snatchers for working the Cork-Rosslare expresses. The picture below is from the IRRS Journal No. 20 (Spring 1957) and is of B107 at Glanmire Road shed in Cork with snatchers fitted. As can be seen, the B101s had the snatchers fitted the opposite way round to normal - i.e. the snatcher would be operated from the rear cab of the locomotive and they did indeed fit into the bodyside recesses. I don't know how many of the class were fitted with snatchers.

DSC02595.jpg

Neither of the 1100 / B113 class ever had snatchers as, as far as I'm aware, they only worked on the Dublin-Cork line and thus did not need them.

Edited by josefstadt

For a long time I thought the recesses in the cab sides had to be for tablet catchers, but when you think of when they were built... so to this day I don't know what those recesses were for...... unless they were at one time planned - but if so, why did later engines not have recesses?

I think the B101s may have been slightly wider than the Metrovicks and GMs some BRCW built BR Type 2 diesels used in Scotland also had similar recesses.

Some of the B101 class were fitted with snatchers for working the Cork-Rosslare expresses. The picture below is from the IRRS Journal No. 20 (Spring 1957) and is of B107 at Glanmire Road shed in Cork with snatchers fitted. As can be seen, the B101s had the snatchers fitted the opposite way round to normal - i.e. the snatcher would be operated from the rear cab of the locomotive and they did indeed fit into the bodyside recesses. I don't know how many of the class were fitted with snatchers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4698[/ATTACH]

Neither of the 1100 / B113 class ever had snatchers as, as far as I'm aware, they only worked on the Dublin-Cork line and thus did not need them.

great stuff josefstadt! i knew there had to bo at least one loco fittef with snatchers- if only for a trial period. well spotted and thanks for posting this pic:tumbsup:

Just noticed in that pic even the loco's buffer beam is silver. In silver livery they were normally red as can be seen on the adjacent A class loco. The bogies were silver too. Maybe the loco is literally straight out of the box in this photo?

JHB, I think you might have something there about the newness of the Sulzer. According to Irish Railways Traction & Travel, B107 entered traffic on 25 February. So it was either brand new or only a very short time in service. I think that the buffer beam might have remained silver until the locos were repainted. There is a picture in Tom Ferris' book Irish Railways in Colour 1955-1967 of a very dirty silver liveried B109 taken in 1961 and it still has the silver buffer beam (p 92). On the following page is a 1963 pic showing B112 in the 'black & tan' livery with a red buffer beam.