Yet another greenway tv series

Rate this topic

minister_for_hardship

1 hour ago, minister_for_hardship said:

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2023/01/17/the-south-kerry-greenway/

This time aimed at food anoraks. Let's see how many rail related things they get hopelessly wrong!

The Enda Kenny one was an unmitigated car crash in terms of research - or lack of it. The researcher, a young lady from Belfast, was given my contact details and emailed me with a list of questions. I answered every one.

When the episodes went out, she ignored every single thing I told her, yet included my name in the programme credits. I was unamused, and emailed her to enquire as to why she bothered asking such questions, then trotting out a whole series - not just one programme - of such unutterable rubbish, when she had the information needed to hand.

I await a reply.................................

Her drivel did, of course, include the obligatory eyewash about just about every closed railway in Ireland "being dismantled and then dropped on the Germans" - and the "first and last trains on the Achill branch carrying the dead. Awful.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Imagine if they did a GAA related series and fecked it up, or a historical documentary and showed a pic of Collins and said it was Dev, as they're both two ould rebels who fought in 1916, like, who cares...there would be uproar. Joe Duffy would be inundated.

But broadcast any poorly researched railway shyte, and no one complains.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Imagine if they did a GAA related series and fecked it up, or a historical documentary and showed a pic of Collins and said it was Dev, as they're both two ould rebels who fought in 1916, like, who cares...there would be uproar. Joe Duffy would be inundated.

in the series WW2 “band of brothers” it says a certain failed artist died 11th of April 1945….Now that’s a howler!

You should have seen the uproar when this beut was announced to be put up in cork city to “promote shopping”

F8E9ACE2-A929-4A54-8FC1-067B6E344916.jpeg.13e334241e9e45af51606595901c8e62.jpeg

On 18/1/2023 at 6:47 PM, jhb171achill said:

The Enda Kenny one was an unmitigated car crash in terms of research - or lack of it. The researcher, a young lady from Belfast, was given my contact details and emailed me with a list of questions. I answered every one.

When the episodes went out, she ignored every single thing I told her, yet included my name in the programme credits. I was unamused, and emailed her to enquire as to why she bothered asking such questions, then trotting out a whole series - not just one programme - of such unutterable rubbish, when she had the information needed to hand.

I await a reply.................................

Her drivel did, of course, include the obligatory eyewash about just about every closed railway in Ireland "being dismantled and then dropped on the Germans" - and the "first and last trains on the Achill branch carrying the dead. Awful.

If my sources indicate me correctly, RTE will be delving into railways again very soon, I know for a fact that they’ll read our complaints about the last show as the thread of us bashing it is not to far down the search list when you look it up! 

Hopefully a lesson will be learned

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

VERY true.

I rant on about wrong liveries, or stock from a different era or area behind a loco from another. Sure, there’s “Rule 1”; and by far that is the most important.

But for those whose aim is actual accuracy, the political equivalent of a black wagon chassis, or a grey 121 hauling brown goods vans, or a white or yellow “flying snail” on a steam engine…… or ALL that oul shtuff, is this:

”In 1741, the English took away all the food and sent a quarter of the Irish as slaves to Australia. Most of the rest died and a few were left. Then, in 1916, Ireland became independent from England and the Protestants killed all the Catholics in the north. Then there was the “troubles”, when the Irish Free State (or “Eier”) went to war with Northern Ireland (which is part of England). The American president 🇺🇸 came to sort it all out and now there’s peace between the two places thanks to America, and that’s called the Good Friday Agreement”……

As an aside, good folks, please sit down, take a deep breath, and have your smelling salts and therapist handy before you read what follows; and you will not be able to UN-read it.

ALL of the above drivel, and break it down by each individual nonsense detail; all of it - at one time or another, I have heard (or even been TOLD) by the good folks from the USA - is absolutely true.

I busted a few myths to a citizen of that country one time, who insisted that his ancestors belonged to a mythical race known as the “Black Irish”. Ohhh boy. Never was so much nonsense spouted by so few…..

I digress.

I look forward to the cookery programme with interest, and hope that footplate fries in Achill locomotive shed feature prominently.

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

in the series WW2 “band of brothers” it says a certain failed artist died 11th of April 1945….Now that’s a howler!

You should have seen the uproar when this beut was announced to be put up in cork city to “promote shopping”

F8E9ACE2-A929-4A54-8FC1-067B6E344916.jpeg.13e334241e9e45af51606595901c8e62.jpeg

If my sources indicate me correctly, RTE will be delving into railways again very soon, I know for a fact that they’ll read our complaints about the last show as the thread of us bashing it is not to far down the search list when you look it up! 

Hopefully a lesson will be learned

Let us HOPE they research it properly.

• Funny 1