071 sound chip not working

Rate this topic

john R

I can’t get my sound chip to work . All I hear is a faint high pitch noise and the local won’t move . It’s not the locco as my 201 chip works perfectly on it .

Am using hornby elite controller . That doesn’t seem to be the problem as the 201 chip works.

have come to the conclusion the chip is faulty . New to digital . HELP!

52 minutes ago, john R said:

It’s the original Murphys Models chip. If I reset it will I loose all the sound files ??

52 minutes ago, john R said:

It’s the original Murphys Models chip. If I reset it will I loose all the sound files ??

You wont lose the sound files.It resets everything back to the original settings,and the address will go back to number 3.

If you could try another DCC controller,as the Hornby Elite/Select are not great.

First thing is I recommend you out the loco on the DCC test track and put your DCC command station into test mode (ie programming mode) and see if the decoder responds with its manufacturer ID and model ID. If not then the decoder is faulty (or possibly the loco's own on board PCB). You can eliminate the latter by trying the suspect decoder in another loco. (ie by process of elimination discover is the problem is the decoder or the loco).

58 minutes ago, john R said:

Not if you just write 8 to CV8. But remember after you do that the loco address will revert back to the default of 3. Otherwise the loco will appear dead as you might be trying its previous address. As long as you don't use a LokProgrammer there is little risk of corrupting the sound file with just a decoder reset CV8=8). 

Hope this helps. Fortunately in 10 years I've never been shipped a faulty decoder.

• Like 1

For programming the Hornby DCC command station have a look at pal 25 of this. Connect the two 'prog' outputs to a separate short piece of test track so you can place the loco on it and you can enter programming mode for just the decoder on that track. The loco won't move so the track only needs to be as long as the loco. Its just for programming the decoder.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015937139/hornby-elite-manual-v1.41.pdf

The Hornby Select does not have the greatest reputation for compatibility with decoders or ease of use. If you run into problems perhaps try reprogramming the loco on a friends layout or a club layout.

You mentioned that you are new to DCC, so one of the first things that I would check is do the lights turn on or off?
If not then before you start into resets etc could I ask what address you are using for the loco?

Have you changed it (using your programmer)? It’s default value as shipped should be 3 (sometimes shown as 03 or 0003).

If you have changed it (eg to 0071 ) and it has not responded to any commands then try using address 0003 (or 03 or simply 3) on the Hornby Elite in case the decoder has not changed address correctly, and see if there is any response from the loco (will lights turn on and off, will it move etc). All of this can be done with the loco on the normal running track, only if you need to proceed to the more advanced stuff (as described by the guys in the posts above) will you need to use a programming track.