Alan's Workbench

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

3 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

It’s actually more than likely there was an overlap Alan. Lovely work. I do like black Irish tank engines ;) 

Yes, me too🙂  It's a shame one of this pair didn't make it to Witham Street.

Edited by Tullygrainey

• 1 month later...

After a very enjoyable weekend with Patrick Davey's Brookhall Mill at the Bangor Show last weekend, my loco-building gene started to agitate again. What next? A number of folk have suggested (and keep suggesting!) a BCDR Baltic but those things still have too many wheels and whirly bits. 

As well as all things BCDR, I have an abiding affection for scruffy little shunters, both steam and diesel and in my to-do drawer for a while now has lurked an etched kit for a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0 saddle tank crying out to be built. So I've made a start on it.

Since it's not by any stretch an Irish loco, you'll find the build in the 'British Outline Modelling' part of the forum.

Alan

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Get you re valve gear Alan. Thank goodness the SLNC never bothered with such twentieth century monstrosities. What about No6 or 16 next? Know what you mean about that gene too- I am planning out a 10thou footplate right now…,

Vintage Irish Railways - Northern Ireland - BCDRIntroduced as a Beyer Peacock built class in 1924 this is Belfast and County Down Railway 'Large' Atlantic tank No. 16 on the turntable at Queen's Quay mpd.This is a Bob O'Sullivan negative and my thanks go to Robert Gardiner for the location. [Mike Morant collection] Vintage Irish Railways - Northern Ireland - BCDR. The clarity in this pre-war shot of Belfast and County Down Railway No. 6 is a wonder to behold. This Beyer Peacock one-off loco dated from 1894 and lasted in service until 1951 but then languished in store for a further five years which makes one wonder if there might have been efforts to preserve it.Some locomotive history from Joe Cassells: This very long-lived engine worked the 11.45 Newcastle  train on Saturday 15th January 1950 - the day before the line closed. The late Mac Arnold, an expert in these matters, reckoned that she never steamed after this although she survived under cover for so long that there was a feeling she might have been preserved. [Ted Pettman / Mike Morant collection]

😆 Yes David! By coincidence I’ve been pondering No6 for a while. That particular wheel arrangement, along with 4-4-0s too seems to be tricky to get working properly so I’m tempted by the challenge. I have a copy of Mike Sharman’s little book ‘Flexichas’ in which he describes a novel approach. I’d like to try it! 

A bogie tank would be good too. I did one from an Adams Radial but it would be nice to get a bit closer to the prototype with a scratch build. 

What are you planning with that footplate?

• Like 2

Sounds good Alan. No 6 in either incarnation would be delightful. As for me, I am returning to a long-stalled project to build an ex-GNRI 4-4-0, a J class….now on its second attempt at a chassis…..bottom pic shows attempt 1, before I managed to find a Beyer Peacock GA. Top pic shows bogie almost ready to roll.

IMG_0606.jpeg

IMG_3240.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8
  • WOW! 1

Alphagraphix do the County Down 2-4-0 in 7mm scale and the MGWR G2 as well. The photo on the website of the latter is the one I built. Did a GER E4 2-4-0 as well, back in the day. Nowhere near as challenging as a 4-4-0, because they are not much different to an 0-6-0. Bit of side play and springing on the front wheels and Robert is your father's brother!

Well, mostly...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 1