201 DCC Help

Rate this question

Signal

Question

Hi All

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this question is not posted in the right place.

I've recently purchased a Digital Lenz Set 90, a Murphy Model Class 201 and a MM Chip for same. The Loco seems to run fine but i can't seem to activate any of the Functions even function 0. As a result I suspected the chip to be faulty and returned it for testing but instead received a replacement chip. This replacement chip works the same as original chip ie no functions work.

The two chips can hardly be faulty?

Can anyone enlighten me on this issue please.

regards

Signal

18 answers to this question

Hi All

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this question is not posted in the right place.

I've recently purchased a Digital Lenz Set 90, a Murphy Model Class 201 and a MM Chip for same. The Loco seems to run fine but i can't seem to activate any of the Functions even function 0. As a result I suspected the chip to be faulty and returned it for testing but instead received a replacement chip. This replacement chip works the same as original chip ie no functions work.

The two chips can hardly be faulty?

Can anyone enlighten me on this issue please.

regards

Signal

Hi Signal and welcome to the forum.

If I can help I will.

I have the Lenz 100 which is the next stage up from yours.

I assume you have the Lenz instruction booklet with it.

First, have you assigned an address for your loco's or are you on the default address 3 ??

If you are using address 3 then change it to something else (perhaps the number of the loco i.e. 201 or what ever the loco number is.) and try the function again.

Let me know how you get on.

Wiggy.

Hi Rob

Thank you for your response.

I've looked and looked again but I can't locate the switches you mention. Are the visable as the loco is viewed inverted?

Regards

Signal

Yes - they're the little white squares that are just under where it says Made in China - they slide backwards and forwards to switch.

Hi Wiggy

Thank you for your welcome and your suggestion.

I've now programmed the loco to 22 as you suggested and still no functions. I've also checked the chip is fully 'home'

Not looking too good at moment?

Regards

Larry

Hi Larry,

If you remove the MM chip and refit the supplied chip (blank), do all the lights come on when the loco is on the track.??

What functions are you trying to get to work.??

I assume you are trying to get the head/tail lights to work.

Do you have any other chip fitted loco's that work with the Lenz 90 and have you read the Lenz 90 manual.

We need to make sure that the Lenz is working OK as well.

Wiggy.

Hi Wiggy

Did as you suggested ... put supplied chip back in ... lights come on and loco runs as 0000.

I'm trying to get all the functions working but function 0 would be a start.

I have another working with a EZ command chip and it runs ok but it only has a one function as far as i know and that the running direction lights.

I've read the Lenz manual but I'll be the first to put my hands up and say i don't understand all of it.

Again thanks for your time on this.

Larry

Hi Wiggy

Did as you suggested ... put supplied chip back in ... lights come on and loco runs as 0000.

I'm trying to get all the functions working but function 0 would be a start.

I have another working with a EZ command chip and it runs ok but it only has a one function as far as i know and that the running direction lights.

I've read the Lenz manual but I'll be the first to put my hands up and say i don't understand all of it.

Again thanks for your time on this.

Larry

OK,

We now know that the loco is fine so it's the chip or the wrong combination of buttons pressed on the Lenz 90

I only have the Lenz 100 but I looked in the Lenz 90 manual and found this.

"Shift" key: when you press this key, the numbers and symbols in smaller print on the other keys become active. This key is comparable to the "Shift" key on a typewriter or computer. It also, ESC key.

Function 0 on/off. Function 0 is used by most decoders for the front lighting which is dependent on the direction of motion. If the "shift" key has been pressed, then this key is used to scroll through the menus

These 4 keys are used to switch functions of the locomotive decoder. The large number is the primary number and the small number is the shifted number.

With the decoder chip in try the shift and function buttons to see if anything works as the chip may not work with the first 3-4 function buttons.

I know on mine F4 does not work but F5 does so try that.

Not sure where abouts in the world you are but see if someone near you can run your loco for you.

Failing that send your chip to me and I can test it in one of mine. (just a thought)

Wiggy.

Hi Wiggy

Thanks for reply and sorry for delay in responding. I've tried all combinations at this stage and am nearly suspect of Lenz equipment at this stage. I will take you up on your offer to test chip thanks but really don't know how to set about it. Guess email would be a start?

I live in Wicklow and I guess you are in UK.

Larry