Container gantry 1960s / early 70s

Rate this question

jhb171achill

Question

Learned folks;

As one whose ignorance of modern practice knows no bounds, may I ask a question.....

The very earliest gantry cranes for lifting containers on and off wagons started to appear, as far as I am aware, in the late 1960s. Following the 1973 Rail Development Plan, a few more started springing up in various rural localtions.

Is there a suitable model of something like this? I was thinking of 1965-75 period, and of a type that would be the smallest sort of gantry that was used in Ireland.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Learned folks;

As one whose ignorance of modern practice knows no bounds, may I ask a question.....

The very earliest gantry cranes for lifting containers on and off wagons started to appear, as far as I am aware, in the late 1960s. Following the 1973 Rail Development Plan, a few more started springing up in various rural localtions.

Is there a suitable model of something like this? I was thinking of 1965-75 period, and of a type that would be the smallest sort of gantry that was used in Ireland.

Owen o Neil of cork makes a 3D print of the Tralee gantry crane. The size looks handy for a small layout 

5DC7BEC6-21F5-4406-B9A5-28EFBB5C0742.thumb.jpeg.81cd41f400f3bf30da84c2dd9140f95d.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Owen o Neil of cork makes a 3D print of the Tralee gantry crane. The size looks handy for a small layout 

5DC7BEC6-21F5-4406-B9A5-28EFBB5C0742.thumb.jpeg.81cd41f400f3bf30da84c2dd9140f95d.jpeg

Perfect!

I will ping him accordingly. I think I'll put one at Castletown West. Mayner points out that they appeared from the early (rather than late) sixties, so it will suit me all the better. Even if I can't get the right types of containers for a while, it will look well. One essential thing, given my preference for a scene to look realistic, is that it can be removed from the layout, or placed back, with ease, as when operating with six-wheelers and 100% steam (steam fleet now eight strong) it would look out of place. But that's a nitpicking detail.... (even to me!)

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2