Industrial sites in Ireland with their own locomotives

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Compared with the island between us and mainland Europe, with its massive andn varied industries in Victorian times, we had very little in the way of industrial railways, and what few we had were often just short sidings operated by the adjacent railway company. But there were some; the large Guinness and even larger Bord na Mona systems are well known.

However, on the 5'3", I'm trying to jog my memory on what there were in the way of privately-owned steam locos working on their own tracks in or near industries. So far, I've got:

1.  Courtaulds, Carrickfergus

2.  Derry Harbour Commissioners

3.  Allman's Distillery, Bandon - the loco of which eventually went to the GSR to shunt the sharply curved quay sidings adjacent to Albert Quay station

4.  Carlow, Tuam, Thurles and Mallow sugar factories

5.  Shell, Alexandra Rd., the little diesel shunter now at Whitehead

Anything else?

I'm not counting the 1 horsepower, eco-friendly fuel, green-friendly emission units at Loughgilly, Co. Armagh, and Shannonvale Mill in Co. Cork....

What I have in mind is whether I should get one of those little Peckett 0.4.0STs for a mill near Dugort Harbour.... there's a small scenic corner which could take a siding into it....

• Like 4

That’s an appealing idea. I think you should. It seems to be a theme largely neglected by modellers of Irish railways, probably for the reasons you mention - there weren’t many independent industrial systems.

There’s also the additional incentive that those Hornby Pecketts are lovely little models and fine runners! I have two currently languishing in a drawer so I’ll follow developments with interest. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StevieB said:

I know Guinness was mentioned in the first paragraph but I was simply pointing ou that it wasn’t on the list of industrial sites with their own locos. 

Stephen

Indeed - I initially referred to the narrow gauge, forgot to put the BG on the list. So that’s another.

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Larne BAC and Upperlands

Locomotives?

While technically narrow gauge, Irish Steel haulbowline probably warrants a mention, maybe under some special category heading like commendable effort or also ran 

Edited by MOGUL

Possibly a Pier with its own loco at Dugort Harbour financed by local gentry and Castletown West business interests not unlike Tralee-Fenit,.  Tralee & Fenit Harbour Company Hunslet 0-6-0ST "Shamrock"  an ex-contractors Hunslet 0-6-0St was taken into GSWR stock and numbered 299 when the GSWR absorbed the WLWR.

The Broad Gauge harbour or industrial lines were a bit too main stream for my taste, Irish, reservoir, Quarry/mining and forestry tramways more interesting/challenging

Reservoir and Hydro Schemes

Another possibility are the standard and narrow gauge railways used in reservoir construction and early hydro electric schemes.

Mourn Mountains-----Standard gauge possibly steam worked.

Roundwood----------Little information---Rail possibly used in second reservoir scheme in 1920s---Mention of a loco shed.

Shannon Scheme----Broad and Narrow gauge--German proprietary equipment--------Possible Ho or Hoe project.

Poulaphuca Hydri Electric-----Narrow Gauge---possibly 2'----UK Proprietary equipment Motor Rail (Simplex) or R&H locos--ideally 7mm scale or larger.

Mining and Quarrying.

Hodgsons Tramway--------3'6" Avoca copper mines to Arklow  to 1860s-------- Traction engine style locos 7mm or larger!

Quarry tramways---Arklow, Achill---------possibly 2' gauge proprietary British or Greman locos-------indeally 7mm or larger.

Benbulbin-Mullaghmore ----------2' gauge Byrytes Tramway mid 1920s short lived 1 Motor Rail possibly War Surplus loco/

Forestry Tramways

Glenfarne post WW1 era-----2' Gauge 0-6-0T-WW1 era industrial  a 7mm kit may be available

• Like 1

Achill had two 2ft gauge lines. One (Keel) was steam worked by two small locos, the other (Cloghmore) was horse (or donkey) worked.

2 hours ago, Mayner said:

Possibly a Pier with its own loco at Dugort Harbour financed by local gentry and Castletown West business interests not unlike Tralee-Fenit,.  Tralee & Fenit Harbour Company Hunslet 0-6-0ST "Shamrock"  an ex-contractors Hunslet 0-6-0St was taken into GSWR stock and numbered 299 when the GSWR absorbed the WLWR.

That's exactly what I had in mind! The idea could be that a few miles the far side of Castletown West - on the way to the fiddle yard / sorry, main line junction, there's a mill of some sort. This peckett yoke appears each morning with a van or two to stick onto the goods for Cork / Tralee, and picks up empties off the incoming one. Unofficially, CIE may even borrow it to shunt the odd time, as a result of a "local arrangement".

We are in West Kerry, after all................

If it's anything like the Allmans one used in Cork, I'm just thinking it would need to be weathered within an inch of its life by the Extremist Continuity Weatherers....

• Like 2