leslie10646 Posted June 22 Posted June 22 Just a Heads Up folks. With the Accurascale Hunslet diesel appearing, they mentioned that for a while they hauled the former Magheramorne Spoil wagons on another contract to reclaim land from the sea, it provoked some interest in my kits of those Spoil Wagons. They were used for a time as permanent way wagons as well. The good news is that I hope to make the kit available again, as the moulds have been found. I have an order to get the ball rolling, but are there others who want some - speak now, or .......... PM me if you are interested, please. Semi-retired, Leslie 11
jhb171achill Posted June 23 Posted June 23 (edited) The Hunslets absolutely DID haul those! They also were (albeit very rarely) seen in ballast trains, and I saw one with at least 7, maybe 9(???) bogies en route to Portrush - NOT Mk 2s; STEAM (ex-NCC & GNR) bogies - about six - with three de-engined AEC / BUT cars at the rear. All were in NIR’s non-Mk2-coach livery of all-over maroon with a 3” grey waistline. 7, let alone 9 bogies behind one of those things was a serious load. Edited June 23 by jhb171achill 1 2
Jonathan Allen Posted June 23 Posted June 23 4 hours ago, jhb171achill said: The Hunslets absolutely DID haul those! They also were (albeit very rarely) seen in ballast trains, and I saw one with at least 7, maybe 9(???) bogies en route to Portrush - NOT Mk 2s; STEAM (ex-NCC & GNR) bogies - about six - with three de-engined AEC / BUT cars at the rear. All were in NIR’s non-Mk2-coach livery of all-over maroon with a 3” grey waistline. 7, let alone 9 bogies behind one of those things was a serious load. How about 10 on leaving Portrush on Easter Monday 1975! 101 leaving Portrush | 101 "Eagle" seems to have gained a co… | Flickr The 101s were on PW duties right from the start, not just with spoil wagons but ancient 4-wheel wagons as well. 103 Lisburn | Only 5 months old and already reduced to menia… | Flickr Plenty of scope to keep your models occupied until the coaches arrive. 2 2 1
Mol_PMB Posted June 23 Posted June 23 (edited) 6 hours ago, Jonathan Allen said: How about 10 on leaving Portrush on Easter Monday 1975! 101 leaving Portrush | 101 "Eagle" seems to have gained a co… | Flickr The 101s were on PW duties right from the start, not just with spoil wagons but ancient 4-wheel wagons as well. 103 Lisburn | Only 5 months old and already reduced to menia… | Flickr Plenty of scope to keep your models occupied until the coaches arrive. So far I've only built the brake van, inspired by another of your photos: https://flic.kr/p/2ipSGWh I had hoped to buy some of Leslie's last batch of spoil wagon kits to add to the train, but for reasons outside his control that batch was never made. Edited June 23 by Mol_PMB Removed automatically embedded image and replaced with link 5
leslie10646 Posted June 23 Author Posted June 23 Well, Paul, you can get them now - just ask! Brake van the business. 1 1
Mol_PMB Posted June 23 Posted June 23 20 minutes ago, leslie10646 said: Well, Paul, you can get them now - just ask! Brake van the business. Excellent - I’ve sent you an email.
Jonathan Allen Posted June 23 Posted June 23 5 hours ago, Mol_PMB said: So far I've only built the brake van, inspired by another of your photos: That banging noise is my inflated ego trying to get through a door. Seriously good weathering, though. I remember hitching lift on a 101 from Knockmore Junction back to Lisburn - the loco was propelling a rake of spoil wagons! What (if anything) the driver could see forwards, I preferred not to think. 3 1
Colin_McLeod Posted June 23 Posted June 23 15 hours ago, leslie10646 said: PM me if you are interested, please. PM sent. 1
leslie10646 Posted 5 hours ago Author Posted 5 hours ago On 8/7/2026 at 1:52 AM, K801 said: Any chance of offering some RTR ones? Sorry, I missed this. I'll have a look. Leslie Just a progress report, but last call if you want these wagons! I'm retiring soon and after that, you're on your own ....... Nearly there. I've decided to supply the kit with a static NEM box, but no couplings, then folk can use what they prefer. Hunt now make an Elite pivoting NEM magnetic coupling, reference 4WH0300640. It is specifically designed for a fixed NEM 362 socket where additional lateral movement is required on curves. They cost about £2 a pair and look a possibility if you are going to have a rake of these wagons? The other possibility is a Kadee #19 or #20. These also have the NEM Dove tail fitting and the coupling head has lateral movement. I have such couplings in a long rake of my wagons with a static NEM box so that should work. Finally, the Dapol 4A-000-016 OO Dove Tail NEM Pocket W/Tension Lock Coupler 5 Pairs to a pack for around £10 (Rails of Sheffield sell them) but without the side-play. I am now waiting for some missing parts for the first tranche of my order and the transfers (a few weeks from Railtec who have the pattern). I hope to start supplying in October. Time to speak up if you want these. Thanks Leslie 3 1
K801 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 4 hours ago, leslie10646 said: Sorry, I missed this. I'll have a look. Leslie Just a progress report, but last call if you want these wagons! I'm retiring soon and after that, you're on your own ....... Nearly there. I've decided to supply the kit with a static NEM box, but no couplings, then folk can use what they prefer. Hunt now make an Elite pivoting NEM magnetic coupling, reference 4WH0300640. It is specifically designed for a fixed NEM 362 socket where additional lateral movement is required on curves. They cost about £2 a pair and look a possibility if you are going to have a rake of these wagons? The other possibility is a Kadee #19 or #20. These also have the NEM Dove tail fitting and the coupling head has lateral movement. I have such couplings in a long rake of my wagons with a static NEM box so that should work. Finally, the Dapol 4A-000-016 OO Dove Tail NEM Pocket W/Tension Lock Coupler 5 Pairs to a pack for around £10 (Rails of Sheffield sell them) but without the side-play. I am now waiting for some missing parts for the first tranche of my order and the transfers (a few weeks from Railtec who have the pattern). I hope to start supplying in October. Time to speak up if you want these. Thanks Leslie Ya, I couldn't even build a Lego model so RTR would be great thanks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now