Moogie-69 Posted 20 hours ago Posted 20 hours ago Hi what did GNR(i) use as shutters? Were there any 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 used ? So far I have found the Class BT and the Class RT but nobody seems to make a locomotive that I could use as a base to scratch build one. Anyone know of anything I could use. Don't want to go bigger than a 4-4-0 as my planed layout only has a small goods yard. Thanks, Noel.
Galteemore Posted 16 hours ago Posted 16 hours ago Could go for a small 0-6-0. The PG class has been successfully made out of a Bachmann SECR C class goods loco on here, by Nelson some years ago. 3
leslie10646 Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago @Galteemore is right, that they tended to use 0-6-0s, at least latterly. See the one Nelson built for me: https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8447-portadown-junction/page/6/ There was also the Class QGT - an 0-6-2T - I've just bought a LNER Class N2 (i think) to consider using as the basis for a QGT - a long shot? At £35, DCC fitted - I couldn't leave it sitting there and it works well! 1
Mol_PMB Posted 13 hours ago Posted 13 hours ago 32 minutes ago, leslie10646 said: @Galteemore is right, that they tended to use 0-6-0s, at least latterly. See the one Nelson built for me: https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8447-portadown-junction/page/6/ There was also the Class QGT - an 0-6-2T - I've just bought a LNER Class N2 (i think) to consider using as the basis for a QGT - a long shot? At £35, DCC fitted - I couldn't leave it sitting there and it works well! Not such a long shot, the N2 is a bit bigger all round but not way out. The biggest discrepancies would be driving wheel diameter and the pitch of the boiler. Depending on the nature of the mechanism inside, those may be tricky to change.
leslie10646 Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago Paul, I'm working to the "Ten foot" rule, not @jhb171achill's "Two Foot rule". This one is definitely intended as a "Good enough" job! 2
Mol_PMB Posted 12 hours ago Posted 12 hours ago 17 minutes ago, leslie10646 said: Paul, I'm working to the "Ten foot" rule, not @jhb171achill's "Two Foot rule". This one is definitely intended as a "Good enough" job! Understood - and the loco certainly has a similar character so it's a good starting point. And depending on which livery you have, it might even have the right letters on the side!
Moogie-69 Posted 11 hours ago Author Posted 11 hours ago I made this Q class a few years ago, based on a Hornby T9. Thought about using a T9 as a base for the BT but the driven wheels are too big. Is it possible to fit smaller wheels and adjust the height of the front bogie ? 2 1
GSR 800 Posted 4 hours ago Posted 4 hours ago 6 hours ago, Moogie-69 said: I made this Q class a few years ago, based on a Hornby T9. Thought about using a T9 as a base for the BT but the driven wheels are too big. Is it possible to fit smaller wheels and adjust the height of the front bogie ? Down from 6'8 to anywhere approaching 5', you might as well get a chassis custom built or scratchbuild yourself at that point, IMO A GNRI 0-6-0 tender engine would be the most common type for the job, one would imagine. They did have the hawthorn leslie crane tank, which would be an unusual model!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now