Heljan Class 16

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

The BR "Blue Era" modellers seem to be having a field day customising and weathering Heljan 1st generation diesels http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb.html. Always fancied a North London Line layout in its glorious urban squalor, a railway crammed in between deep retaining walls, pub on every corner, terraced houses, mansion blocks and 1960s tower blocks, 2 car 3rd rail EMUs Type1s on trip workings and inter-regional freights.

shes a beauty Fran....its a wonder you didnt put a sound chip in her!

Cheers Seamus. All these old crates were gone by the late 60s and not sure if there's any sound recordings of them. I've gone off sound too tbh. She's a lovely model though.

I have to say that the extras such as pipe work and screw couplings that Heljan provide with their models are cracking. Look's a smashing model Fran their Hymek is still one of the very best models around.

Rich,

Cheers Rich, Heljan seems to have upped their game again which is great to see. Will be interesting to see what their steam locos will be like. I do have the Hattons Garratt on order...

The BR "Blue Era" modellers seem to be having a field day customising and weathering Heljan 1st generation diesels http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb.html. Always fancied a North London Line layout in its glorious urban squalor, a railway crammed in between deep retaining walls, pub on every corner, terraced houses, mansion blocks and 1960s tower blocks, 2 car 3rd rail EMUs Type1s on trip workings and inter-regional freights.

Agree with you John, having used the North London line as a commuter a few years back I always liked it as a setting. It must've been great in the 60s with all these pioneer diesels and steam. All that's needed is some signature units like the 501s. I have no idea what the kit is like for these but might have to find out for myself one day!

What a stunner Fran - do you know if they are going to do a full yellow end I might not be able to resist if they do! :)

Sure is man, was tempted by the full yellow loco myself but went with the odd 'Stratford panel' version myself. None got Blue though http://www.ehattons.com/52403/Heljan_1603_Class_16_North_British_diesel_D8407_BR_green_wtih_full_yellow_ends_Ltd_edition_o/StockDetail.aspx

The layout that Mayner alludes to is Hornsey Broadway by Kier Hardy. I've seen sections of it twice on display at local exhibitions and it is stunning.

Stephen

Sure is, Kier Hardy is has built some fantastic stock and layouts. I can see his stuff being a big inspiration for me going forward and it's one of my favourite sites. Again it's an era that's close to my heart having lived just up the line from Hornsey beside New Southgate station before moving over to East Finchley. Again wished I was travelling past Hornsey looking at Deltics, 40s, 31s and Baby Deltics rather than an endless sea of EMUs that grace the place now. I did see their lovely 03 shunter a few times though! :)

The layout that Mayner alludes to is Hornsey Broadway by Kier Hardy. I've seen sections of it twice on display at local exhibitions and it is stunning.

Stephen

Real life experience of the North London Line/Railway in the 80s & 90s especially the section from section from Camden Road to Dalston Junction, great views over lines into Kings Cross.

The North London and Euston-Watford DC Lines were quite run down & decrepit in keeping with some of the neighbourhoods up to the Network South East re-branding in the mid 80s.

The 501s were replaced by 313s on the Euston-Watford line and SR 2 EBP units took over North London Line Workings, a great day out on a London Off Peak Travel Card:trains:

Real life experience of the North London Line/Railway in the 80s & 90s especially the section from section from Camden Road to Dalston Junction, great views over lines into Kings Cross.

The North London and Euston-Watford DC Lines were quite run down & decrepit in keeping with some of the neighbourhoods up to the Network South East re-branding in the mid 80s.

The 501s were replaced by 313s on the Euston-Watford line and SR 2 EBP units took over North London Line Workings, a great day out on a London Off Peak Travel Card:trains:

Kentish Town West to Gunnersbury was my trek. Always enjoying travelling over Willsden Junction and the back of Old Oak Common seeing abandoned Fertis 56s around the turntable. 313s provided traction there and in my previous residence from New Southgate to Finsbury Park and Kings Cross at weekends. Hated them travel wise but if a model of one came out I'd buy one for nostalgic sakes. Now replaced on the North London Line by the Capitalstars.