Fitting Chip to Murphys 071

Rate this question

Sulzer201

Question

Hi all,

I picked up a Murphys Chip for a 071 today, I had intended to buy two Bachmann 4 funct 21 pin chips but they didn't have any in Hawkins Street today. When I went to fit the chip tonight I found that the four screws that are located underneath the loco are very small. I did not have a philips type screwdriver to fit. Would anyone have the correct name/size of screwdriver required to loosen those four screws? Definitely a bit more fiddlier than the 201 chip fitting. Especially for the likes of myself.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered. Thanks also to Shem, Eamonn and Rich for advice on the chips themselves.

Regards, Tommy.

12 answers to this question

Tommy get some jewelers screwdrivers with a mix of flat head and philips type heads and they should do the trick, and also come in handy for other job's. McQuillians on Capel Street usually have a good selection from Draper amongst others. Draper used to do a set with an awl and tweezers included. You could also pick up a set in Maplins which is next to Smyths toy store, which is only a stones throw away.

Rich,

not sure of the exact size but you can pick up a set of small screwdrivers (flat head and Phillips) cheap enough. Most Euro shops will carry them now. If you can, pick up ones that are magnetised, this is a pick help for screws like those on the 071 which are down deep in the mounting hole.

Very good advice re the magnetized heads as it really helps when re fitting the screws.

Rich,

Not always a bad thing. If you have to use a bit of force to remove a screw it means the screwdriver will give and you won't shear the head off the screw.

The soft ones are much more likely to cam out and knacker the recess, though..

A set like this will get a lot of use if you mess about with models and other delicate things.

screwdriver_set.jpg

The little torque-bar is handy, I drilled the three larger sizes of screwdrivers in mine to take it, too.