DCC Sound Chips for 071's

Rate this question

irishrail123

Question

Hi Lads

Sorry if this was allready asked somewhere else but i couldnt find an anwser. Looking to get a 071 DCC sound chip from santa but not sure which one to get. Murphy Models one or Model shop belfast one? Is there any majour differences between them 2 ? Price is the same so need your opinmions as to which one i should get :)

Thanks

9 answers to this question

I don't have any of the Murphy Models decoders so I can't comment on how good they are, but here's a thread discussing them.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1993-ESU-LokSound-V4-for-MM-Class-201-amp-071/page4?highlight=murphy+decoder

There's a video on the last page listing the various sounds.

I have one 071 decoder from Model Shop Belfast and I would highly recommend them. Their after sales service is top notch too.

Here's an excellent video that lists all the sounds available on the Model Shop's decoders.

[video=youtube_share;WWhvSC7kw_w]

I've several if the Modelshop Belfast chips. They are excellent. Perfectly tweaked for the models' date=' all functions work perfectly and even station announcements.[/quote']

Likewise Stephen-I also have some Model shop Belfast 071 or 201 sound chips,

I have one MM 071 sound chip fitted to 085-but it doesn't sound right.....

Likewise Stephen-I also have some Model shop Belfast 071 or 201 sound chips,

I have one MM 071 sound chip fitted to 085-but it doesn't sound right.....

I think the difference is that Model Shop's recordings are taken directly from the original locos. I suspect MM's chips are using generic sounds from ESU, correct me if I'm wrong there guys.....

The MSB chips are recorded from the real locos.The 071 sound is

from 088,the 201 sound is from 212,and the 141/181 is from 188

which has a sort of clanking noise when ticking over,which is unique

to 188.A MK 3 EGV used to be available but the problem was is all

it did was the engine noise of the EGV and nothing else bar a few

station announcements,hence it's expensive for a sound chip just

for that.I have a sample of Gerry Byrnes EGV with sound on my

YouTube page.

I hear there is quite a waiting time for a sound chip from the model shop belfast, a customer is waiting nearly 2 months for one.

Well I ordered a 201 chip fro Gareth during the week and he told me it would be on it's way to me some time next week. I did have a bit of a wait for my 071 chip but the there was a big backlog of pre-orders with them, and they had trouble getting enough of the blank decoders to fill the orders. Never had to wait 2 months though....

My advice would be to give Model Shop Belfast a shout. I'm sure he could get you sorted for Xmas.