stripes and lines

Rate this question

richrua

Question

How do you guys do stripes or lining in carriages etc?

For a context -

the yellow stripe on an RPSI

or

the white stripes between the orange and black on the Inter City coaches.

any advice appreciated. Total amateur at painting/spraying.

11 answers to this question

Hi richrua you can buy various stripes for lining any coach they come in different widths etc and there are model transfer companies that make up various stripes for your needs, Railtec might have what your looking for ask Steve in Railtec what your modelling and I am sure he will help you out. Colin.

For the white lines on IE stock, you can either use decals, or mask it very carefully and paint it. The RPSI lining would be too fine for paint, either decals or possibly a lining pen would be your best option. Haven't used a lining pen myself, but they are supposed to be quite tricky to use well, so if you weren't confident , a set of decals would do the job well. These would likely come with RPSI lettering and numbers etc along with the lining, so maybe the best way to get a good coach easily

For the white lines on IE stock, you can either use decals, or mask it very carefully and paint it. The RPSI lining would be too fine for paint, either decals or possibly a lining pen would be your best option. Haven't used a lining pen myself, but they are supposed to be quite tricky to use well, so if you weren't confident , a set of decals would do the job well. These would likely come with RPSI lettering and numbers etc along with the lining, so maybe the best way to get a good coach easily

Agreed. The yellow stripe and reddish brown one above are both 0.25mm thick on an 00 gauge coach, so near impossible to achieve with spraying.

As for the white lines for MK3 coaches, these are 1mm wide and some prefer to cut a 1mm strip from masking tape and mask off the white beneath. 1mm masking tape can also be sourced, which might be an easier start.

I did the red line on my NIR 547 with a marker :)

Has it gone orange yet or run like mo farah when you varnished it?

Has anyone done any of the blue cravens yet? Don't think I've seen them modelled. Not a fan of the real livery but a preserved current RPSI craven rake would make an interesting model.

There's a reason for that. One of the most complicated liveries to replicate with the tender like curved corners on the yellow lines, which are 0.3mm thick! Plus, add the cost of the craven, the respray, the decals, and the rehab costs for the modeller, and it could be a savage outlay. Somebody would grumble about the blue shade too... R

Has anyone done any of the blue cravens yet? Don't think I've seen them modelled. Not a fan of the real livery but a preserved current RPSI craven rake would make an interesting model.

Never seen the blue cravens done, but I have seen the half green craven modelled. What ever became of it?