Limerick Junction track layout/ signalling plan 1975-85

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

Hi folks, Im a newbie, new to this forum, but am thinking of returning to the hobby after many years absence. I'm on the fine scale end of things, but all the new Murphy Models stuff has me drooling.

Im thinking of doing a version of Limerick junction in around the period 75-85, centred on 1980. This is a period where I passed though the station regularly on the Limerick Waterford run, ( park-royals and 141's) . As many have said looking back this period was the heyday of loco hauled stock, and reasonable freight traffic. (even though at the time it was all doom for CIE,if I remember)

Im not going to attempt to re-create all 1500 feet of platform, obviously that will be shortened in the model and arranging the waterford crossover is a challenge ( getting the track back around etc )

Couple of things people might be able to help, excuse all the questions, I was thinking of joining the IRRS etc as to see what they had ( anyone know if their journal featured Limerick Junction)

(a) Anyone have track diagrams from around that time , essentially very few mods were done to LJ, until recent rationalisation, with the exception of the addition of the "limerick curve ". While I have the basic track layout from pictures and memory, Im unclear as to the exact arrangements on the East side ( engine shed to headhunt etc )

(b) I have most of the signals sorted, several questions remains

b.1 I seem to remember a coloured light facing each way on the platform ( mounted under the canopy roof) , midway between the old 1 and 2 platforms, protecting the scissors crossing and acting as a starter signal. I see evidence of it in photos around the nineties, but less evidence in earlier ( 1983) photos, I know the old starter signal which poked through the canopy roof was long gone by the late 70s.

b.2 The colour light gantry on the Dublin end of platform 1 , was added some time after 1983, I have photo evidence wasn't there in 83, just the tubular starter signals for dub and limerick lines. There was a ground mounted colour signal shown at that time, adjacent to the 'Up' Line , I think maybe the gantry replaced this ( sight lines etc ) Any Ideas?

b.3 I have one picture of the signals south of the road bridge, ( three home signals,) , but has any one any definitive signal layouts of photos of the approach to LJ from Cork.

b.4 I have the few coloured lights sorted , except memory fails me as to the distant signals , protecting "Keanes " points, and also the UP and Down distance, I presume these were all coloured light as was typical on CIE at the time.

b.5 the southern/eastern aspect of the north box is often photographed. Has anyone any pictures of the west and north aspects , I also can't remember where the staff transfer platform was for the water ford line, my memory is it was just north of the cabin , but can't place it

b.6 photos of the south signal cabin are rare , I have only a few long shots . any sources anyone knows of.

Heres a few operations questions.

There was a connection between the platform 4 ( waterford bay) and the mainline, at the end of platform 4) yet I never saw it being used, ( yet the rails were shiny ) , Did it ever get used and what was its purpose ( maybe it just acted as a loco release)

Ive never heard a convincing reason why the bizarre layout of LJ came into being. was there a good historical reason

As to the model.

I think LJ offers fabulous modelling opportunity, ( And I don't know if its been seriously attempted , but it must have been ), Its offers lots of engine runarounds. Shunting in an era of block trains, plenty of through traffic, even obscure Permanent way stuff was often there. For me the signalling is fantastic, with many roads signalled in both directions !! ( not to mentions loads of shunting signals)

Right now Im just trying to build sources of information ,pictures, accurate track plans and signalling layouts

Im thinking of EM gauge as a half way house to 21mm. Ive build an awful lots of fine scale track in the past , and really think Im past that, thinking of using C&L fine scale EM track, Wheel flanges could then remain as 00, allowing tighter curves, which may be necessary to get the layout to fit. all DCC from the get go.

And A final question, This would make a fabulous club layout ( DCC etc ), is anyone considering a new layout for a club,? has anyone attempted this layout in fine scale or pseudo fine scale with a approximate track plan.

Thanks, in anticipation

dave

More correctly it controlled the exit from the loop so I suspect it's in effect an outer home signal

You are right about the signal controlling the exit from the loop, but it would be a Starter signal. The signal before this one, which would be before the loop, would be the Home signal, and would probably be a bracket signal, and probably have some form of shunting signals as well. The signal before that, well down the Limerick line, if there was one, would be the Outer Home.

You are right about the signal controlling the exit from the loop, but it would be a Starter signal. The signal before this one, which would be before the loop, would be the Home signal, and would probably be a bracket signal, and probably have some form of shunting signals as well. The signal before that, well down the Limerick line, if there was one, would be the Outer Home.

OK, thats interesting

The Milne report of 1948 states the following in regard to Limerick Junction -

(127) The lay-out at Limerick Junction is quite unsuitable for interchange traffic which can only be dealt with by a torturous method of working. The difficulties in working are likely to be accentuated when the service is improved, but while there is a strong justification for re-arranging the lay-out, the direct economies in operating expenditure which would be likely to result would be relatively small and would be insufficient to justify the extensive scheme in contemplation.

(128) The work has not yet been started and it is recommended that the plans should be reviewed with the object of preparing a modified and less costly scheme"

Fascinating reading.

In other words, "Limerick Junction is the maddest thing we've yet seen."

Have to agree. I never liked LJ. It just didn't seem to operate like a proper station. It always looked like half of it was missing. A main station in the middle of nowhere. Now Claremorris is a different kettle of fish, it is an awesome station and junction extrodinaire.

As a layout LJ offers great running potential. Virtually everything ran through it. You dont have to model an associated town , the buildings remained substantially unaltered and are still there today. Pre CTC track was interesting. The quirky carraige stock movements are interesting operationally

The area was well photographed to boot

The main issue is length and accommodating the flat crossover on a conventional baseboard layout.

.... junction extraordinaire.

It certainly was before the track layout was rationalised and everything went CTC in recent years.

There must be some sort of building plans for Claremorris in existence in an archive somewhere, otherwise it's going to have to be a case of asking IE/IR's permission to measure up the various structures....

It certainly was before the track layout was rationalised and everything went CTC in recent years.

There must be some sort of building plans for Claremorris in existence in an archive somewhere, otherwise it's going to have to be a case of asking IE/IR's permission to measure up the various structures....

I have already received ie permission to detail all the structures and was greatly aided by the existing statonmaster Dolores Keaveney, who is passionate about the history of the station. I have tracked down ex signallers and the container crane driver etc.

I have a detsiled photographic record of the structures as they exist today. And will generated cad drawings at the appropriate time. I may shrink the goods shed slightly in length to accommodate the reduced platform lengths on my layout.

The heritage officer of IE has been most helpful

I have already received ie permission to detail all the structures and was greatly aided by the existing statonmaster Dolores Keaveney, who is passionate about the history of the station. I have tracked down ex signallers and the container crane driver etc.

I have a detsiled photographic record of the structures as they exist today. And will generated cad drawings at the appropriate time. I may shrink the goods shed slightly in length to accommodate the reduced platform lengths on my layout.

The heritage officer of IE has been most helpful

Grand!!

Do let us see your drawings. I have a feeling that some of us might want to have a go at Claremorris - or parts of it - ourselves in future :banana:

Grand!!

Do let us see your drawings. I have a feeling that some of us might want to have a go at Claremorris - or parts of it - ourselves in future :banana:

sure. I have another visit booked there in January to speak with Dolores and talk to a few auld buffers!.. I also have to bring my measuring stick as I forgot it the last time , duh

Im on a quest to understand what happened to the men toilet roof !. ( Ill be the wierdo looking up )

Ill publish all the cad here, everything for the community

Can anyone please show me the latest track layout of Limerick Junction (including the remaining sidings) since the opening of the new Down platform?

I'm trying to update a presentation showing the recent changes and thank you in anticipation.

WS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daddio said:

Can anyone please show me the latest track layout of Limerick Junction (including the remaining sidings) since the opening of the new Down platform?

I'm trying to update a presentation showing the recent changes and thank you in anticipation.

WS

Would google maps sat view help? It currently shows the new platform on the NE end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daddio said:

WS

If you're local, or have access to a local 'agent', there may be an 'evacuation plan' on display somewhere - this is the one at Ballybrophy - it'll be based on a current layout plan and, thus, could be expected to be using a fairly recent layout.

1164923911_7S4Update177.thumb.JPG.7da6cc0749830f04ea23ddd60e45b617.JPG

That one is from 2009...