sound chips

Rate this topic

richrua

To avoid duplicate posting here is a link to the post with the video of the new 141 sound chip by Mr Sound Guy.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3707-Which-DCC-sound-chip-for-MM-141-181?p=58930&viewfull=1#post58930

Cheers

Noel

Mr Soundguy has kindly provided me with an advance version of his 071 soundchip and here is a video of Murphy Models 086sa fitted with a Bass Reflex speaker on Ballybeg.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=071+loco+realdrive

Thanks to Eamonn for the video. The chip uses F4 for brake raising the revs per the prototype (see as loco grinds to a halt), F9 for flange squeal, F2 for short horn, F3 for longhorn plus all MM lights work as plug and play. The RealDrive may be turned off using F5 to give a more DC type immediate response to acceleration/deceleration.

Edited by Irishrailwayman

just a quick novice question. To what extent if at all are sound chips automatic ? for example, if i power forward do the engine noises automatically come on or do they need to be switched on everytime?

BK is right, but some of the thread has been devoted to how well the decoder will do this. It seems some sound decoders emulate what is happening with the loco well:trains: whereas others don't respond that quickly to what the locomotive is doing (you don't want the sound of a train at low speed if you have already accelerated halfway down the track, nor the squeal of brakes AFTER you've stopped):SORRY:

Other points raised concern manual notching of the engine (the ability of the operator to ask the sound chip to output the engine at high revs .i.e. high tractive effort, even when it is at low speed, e.g the loco is trying to start moving with a heavy train behind, or conversely is at high speed but you want the sound to diminish as it is coasting down a grade)

More esoteric points concern the accuracy of the sounds produced for any particular loco, best listen to the gurus on here who have more finely tuned ears than me:disco:.

Edited by DiveController

just a quick novice question. To what extent if at all are sound chips automatic ? for example, if i power forward do the engine noises automatically come on or do they need to be switched on everytime?

They are fairly automatic. All you have to do is turn the sound on by pressing F1, the loco then goes through a 10-20 second engine startup (which can be bypassed). Once the sound is on the engine noise will automatically change based on throttle use, but the revs will notch up or down automatically to match the power the loco is requested to deliver, which may not be the same as speed (e.g: high revs as heavy train starts to pull away from a station despite low speed, lower revs once loco attains cruising speed, etc). The Zimo chip from Mr Soundguy has a nice coasting feature where the engine idles once throttle is set to 0, but the loco continues on at speed very gradually decelerating like the real locos coasting. To stop the loco brakes must be applied using F4. As the loco comes to a stop you will automatically hear break screech.

You can manually invoke extra sounds such a flange squeal on bends or over points, guards whistle, short horn, long horn, coach door slamming, etc, by pressing relevant function keys.

Totally. I hope to sound up a couple of 141s and an a class . I don't know how to do sound to an a class yet although I did upgrade it to an dcc chassis recently

Rich,If you check out my workbench page 24/25,I have a bit on my A39

with sound chip.If you are ever Down Wexford way you are welcome for a

demo of all the sound chipped locos incl 001 class.The 071 chip(Sound Guy)

is by far the best,however the 201 will have improvments as well I am sure.

Eamonn

http://http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/45-enniscorthymans-workbench/page25

Does anybody have a video clip of an A class model with sound? I'm very pleased with the updated 141 class sound chip from MrSoundguy.

I have a sense that to compliment DCC sound from locos, it might be interesting to also have a permanent background noise track running from layout speakers powered by mp3 or laptop. This could have a mix of station noises, distant trains, passing trains Red shift effect, rail clinks, steam whistles, traffic noise, background platform/people sounds. I vaguely remember Noel Edmunds did a cassette sound track for hornby about 20-30 years ago with a similar assorted sound mix. With mp3 even better results could be played. An ideal candidate for a smartphone app.

Does anybody have a video clip of an A class model with sound? I'm very pleased with the updated 141 class sound chip from MrSoundguy.

I have a sense that to compliment DCC sound from locos, it might be interesting to also have a permanent background noise track running from layout speakers powered by mp3 or laptop. This could have a mix of station noises, distant trains, passing trains Red shift effect, rail clinks, steam whistles, traffic noise, background platform/people sounds. I vaguely remember Noel Edmunds did a cassette sound track for hornby about 20-30 years ago with a similar assorted sound mix. With mp3 even better results could be played. An ideal candidate for a smartphone app.

The 001 chip is by Mr Soundguy,but is not available just yet.

When visiting Llangollen a few years ago I purchased two CDs with Diesel and Steam Railway Station background sounds costing £9.99 each. They are produced by Taliesin Studios qt 2 Meiron House, Tan-Y-Grisau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, North Wales (UK) LL41 3SU.Tel 00-44-1766 830159 e-mail sales@taliesin-consultants.com.

Edited by Irishrailwayman