Tender Sticker?

Rate this question

Jawfin

Question

16 answers to this question

Don't believe a word of it Jaw. It was Bullied's famous, yet short lived, polka dot livery trial... JHB can confirm :P

I was going to suggest it only burned white coal.

I was at college with a load of National Coal Board lads and we managed to convince one of the more innocent types, who worked for Michelin Tyres, I think, that coal mines weren't really that dark, as coal was actually white until it was exposed to the air for a few hours after being dug out. In fact, some miners even wore sunglasses because of the glare and that was why they often had those clean areas around their eyes. I wonder if he still believes it...

coalminer.jpg

... ah Broithe and heres me thinking butter wouldn't melt in your mouth!!:rolleyes:

It took several days to finally convince him, but one of the lads had a picture of a mine that had just been stone-dusted. They did this as an explosion suppressant, the dust would be lifted into the air by any blast and mixed with the coal dust, greatly slowing the combustion - also, the dust would be very light-coloured, almost white, and this reduced the likelihood of further ignition from the radiation from the flame front. He was completely convinced by that point. Probably still is....

Coal_miner_spraying_rock_dust.jpg

It was the way of telling the signalman that it was oil fired and didn't have to stop to bail out anywhere, unlike coal fired locos at that time.

Quality of coal were very bad for a few years post War (or 'Emergency' if you will) Locos that weren't converted to oil firing burnt any old rubbish that was going, leading to lengthy delays in cleaning out fires and re-making them.

It was the way of telling the signalman that it was oil fired and didn't have to stop to bail out anywhere, unlike coal fired locos at that time.

Quality of coal were very bad for a few years post War (or 'Emergency' if you will) Locos that weren't converted to oil firing burnt any old rubbish that was going, leading to lengthy delays in cleaning out fires and re-making them.

That brings to mind the story of an incident involving the Dublin to Cork night mail during the ‘Emergency’. The driver had to stop the train at one of the then many small wayside halts to ‘bail out’ the fire (i.e. to remove the clinker which had formed in the firebox due to the poor quality of the coal). To explain the delay to head office in Dublin, the local station master sent a telegram to the Running Superintendant in Inchicore stating in effect that the ‘Driver of night mail bailed out here last night’. Unfortunately this communication was intercepted by military intelligence and considerable explanation was required before the authorities were satisfied of the innocuous nature of the message!

That brings to mind the story of an incident involving the Dublin to Cork night mail during the ‘Emergency’. The driver had to stop the train at one of the then many small wayside halts to ‘bail out’ the fire (i.e. to remove the clinker which had formed in the firebox due to the poor quality of the coal). To explain the delay to head office in Dublin, the local station master sent a telegram to the Running Superintendant in Inchicore stating in effect that the ‘Driver of night mail bailed out here last night’. Unfortunately this communication was intercepted by military intelligence and considerable explanation was required before the authorities were satisfied of the innocuous nature of the message!

nice story!