Realistic BackScenes

Rate this question

Paudie Riordan

Question

Hi Guys!

I have finally gotten the time to start!

Track has arrived for the New Layout. Baseboards are ready and I have painted the backboards blue. I want the layout to have a very Irish feel. I have seen some beautiful Layouts on here and If mine is half as good I will be happy. Can anyone advise me on backgrounds. The layout will mostly have a country feel to it. Whats the best way to go here. Paint on the scene or go for printed. Any help is appreciated

thanks in advance.

Paudie

12 answers to this question

Hi Walter.

Hope you are well?

Where did you get these? They look fantastic. I would need these to go down the left hand 19ft. Across the back 9ft and up the other side 17ft. You have seen the shed so you know the layout. Can you let me know what sort of cost these ones are?

Thanks walter

I will be in Galway sometime next week. I might call for that fantastic coffee of yours

Hi Guys!

I have finally gotten the time to start!

Track has arrived for the New Layout. Baseboards are ready and I have painted the backboards blue. I want the layout to have a very Irish feel. I have seen some beautiful Layouts on here and If mine is half as good I will be happy. Can anyone advise me on backgrounds. The layout will mostly have a country feel to it. Whats the best way to go here. Paint on the scene or go for printed. Any help is appreciated

thanks in advance.

Paudie

Paudie,

I like to paste Peco Cloudy sky paper using wallpaper paste onto the plywood backdrop, harden with matt varnish and then paste a cut out of a photographic scene on top of that. I have done this on my original OO layout Ballybeg (see http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/109-Ballybeg) and more recently on my new N-gauge layout Llangollen (see: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3054-Llangollen-in-N). The continuity from the passing clouds appearing from behind the scenery seems to work well.

Gerry

Hi Guys, what type of board do you mount your back scenes on? e.g: 1/4" Plywood, 1/4" hard board, etc, or more modern light weight materials such as the white plastic honeycomb board used for conference, marketing/exhibition posters, election posters, etc? Thanks in advance. Noel

Hi Guys, what type of board do you mount your back scenes on? e.g: 1/4" Plywood, 1/4" hard board, etc, or more modern light weight materials such as the white plastic honeycomb board used for conference, marketing/exhibition posters, election posters, etc? Thanks in advance. Noel

3 inch steel plate works well. Also why not make your own backscene, take a photo and use a large format printer......

Hi Walter.

I would need these to go down the left hand 19ft. Across the back 9ft and up the other side 17ft. You have seen the shed so you know the layout. Can you let me know what sort of cost these ones are?

Thanks walter

I will be in Galway sometime next week. I might call for that fantastic coffee of yours

Bloody hell Paudie, you did mention something about a shed, you never said anything building a house for your layout :ROFL: