GREAT SOUTHERN & WESTERN RLY. CLASS A1 4-8-0T No. 900

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

7 answers to this question

Burntthebox,

Two of these locomotives were built. There is detailed information on them in a book "Locomotives of the GSR" by Michael McMahon. My copy is out on loan at present. If memory serves me correctly there is gap of a number of years between the building of the first and second locomotive. They were used in the yard at Kingsbridge but were prone to damaging the tracks there. To rectify this problem the rear wheels were disconnected from the coupling rod thus transforming the locomotives to 4-6-2.

They were scrapped by the GSR.

900 was built in 1915 and 901 in 1924. Withdrawn in 1928 and 1931 respectively. Used for shunting and banking goods trains between Kingsbridge and Inchicore. Both were prone to derailments and banned from certain sharply curved sidings.

901 was the only loco brought into traffic during the existence of the Great Southern Railway (in the singular)

The Swilly locos - as Mayner says, two 4.8.4T in addition to the two 4.8.0 tender locos were absolutely huge. I think someone in England had a live steam version of the tender engine. By the time my dad visited, one tender loco was out of traffic and the general manager told him it would not be running again. Both tank engines were, at the time of his visit, also out of use.

Lighter loadings on most trains were by now making the large locos uneconomical to operate.