84m

Rate this question

Jawfin

Question

Hello all

Out of interest, is anyone aware of any information on the whereabouts of 84M? I had thought that it was at the Clifton Station House Hotel thing-place (http://www.clifdenstationhouse.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAgMKmBRDMjo_F9OfUubABEiQAp8Ky1wRcP75PJn0zh0JiQxd4YltVq6tZ9cWg1vHBPK5uo_oaAtlZ8P8HAQ) but you can't see it on google maps or anything

Speaking of which, anyone aware of any brief history about it? I imagine it's one of Atock's standard 77 thirds built in Broadstone, withdrawn in 1964, and purchased by the GSRPS after it finished departamental service?

15 answers to this question

It's privately owned by the proprietor of the hotel, and it is his long term aim to cosmetically restore it.

While it looks complete, it is in a very bad way indeed, and in order to become roadworthy would require a complete rebuild from rail level up, which at today's prices would cost some €75000 or more.

It does appear on Google maps and Street View, but the image dates from May 2009. Zoom in on the Station House Hotel and you will see a white rectangle near the entrance off 'The Low Road'. This is the coach. Put the street view figure into the car park and you will see the coach in its protective cover. Sorry but I couldn't figure out how to capture the image and post it here*. The coach was still in situ in June 2012, but was obstructed by parked vehicles so the attached is the best photo that I could get.

DSC01654r.jpg

* It seems that the street view image did got into the post - see below

84m at Clifden.pdf

Edited by josefstadt

I believe the two at Downpatrick are ex-Mallow as well, Derailed. When the DCDR approached IE with regard to 90 and the SLNCR railcar, these came also, as part of the package.

One is restorable, albeit (like 84M) a complete rebuild. The other, while outwardly appearing much the same, is in fact worse. However, the interesting thing about that one is that you can just about make out on one panel on one end, a bit of the short-lived dark blue "Tourist Express" livery.

In an ideal world, I'd love to get funding to do those two plus the GNR six wheeler, and the two BCDR ones, as a "six wheel coach job lot"....!

Whatever about 84m, what about this priceless survivor - ex.Mallow - and believed to be at Belturbet. Should be in Cultra!

900.jpg

The carriage was CIE PW Departmental No.465a. ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon No.900 of 1891 (?) - I have mislaid my file on it. The carriage was used by the WL&WR as a Royal Saloon in 1897 to transport the Duke & Duchess of York from Limerick to Killaloe and Adare during the occasion of their visit to Ireland. Full details here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=EznE...reland&f=false

The Duke of York was later to become George V on the death of Edward VII in 1910. This carriage is probably the single most important 'unpreserved' railway vehicle on the island and it does not deserve to end its days marooned in Belturbet. A considerable amount of time, money and voluntary effort by the GSRPS went into rescuing the carriage from Claremorris in the mid-1980s.

You are correct, Derailed, regarding 900's history. It is therefore the solitary WLWR vehicle left following the unwelcome attention given by vandals to 935 some thirty years ago.

You are also correct re it's importance - but that's obvious! - and its current whereabouts (Belturbet). At least it's under over, as like the Midland coach at Clifden or its sisters at Whitehead or Downpatrick, external storage now - given its age - would result in it scrapping itself in one winter.