Dublin to Cork in 83 seconds.

Rate this topic

When I used to do the Holyhead run, they didn't really expect people to get off at the intermediate stops. If there was nobody on the platform, then they would only make 'token' stops, of very short duration - you had to be really quick off the mark if you actually were getting off. The shortest 'stationary period' that I ever timed was seventeen seconds in Rhyl.

By road, though, it's a shorter distance. While I agree with Weshty, I think that a top speed of 100mph isn't enough. When you allow your an average four to five intermediate stops, you'd need a cruising speed (not "top" speed) of 125 mph to compete with road. Not only on the Cork line, but also on the Galway and Belfast lines. Ideally, on the Mayo road, Waterford line, Athenry to Limerick and the South Eastern too, but that's never going to even be considered.

I wouldn't be in a rush to try Cork to Dublin at 100mph on the road, collar would be felt by Plod by Portlaoise twice over.

Did it once back in the 90's 1 hour 45mins to Cork from Dublin before the motorways! Was in the middle of the night in a Sierra Cosworth

Dear lord, but that ad makes me want to go out and buy a Hornby classic 125 on the spot. An I already have the new Virgin one!!

Dave, you had a Cozzy? niiiiiice. 105 minutes must have been done in the very wee small hours of the morning:)

Edited by Weshty

Dear lord, but that ad makes me want to go out and buy a Hornby classic 125 on the spot. An I already have the new Virgin one!!

We had the Flying Banana through here today, don't often see a 125 on the WCML.

5754.1173582000.jpg

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/5/4/5754.1173582000.jpg http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42129

Heirflick likes yellow things....

You're not safe anywhere....

Brilliant, I love it. Great find.

Dear lord, but that ad makes me want to go out and buy a Hornby classic 125 on the spot.

Ditto. For 1974 that 125 proved a reliable revenue earner and was an elegant looker for 40 years ago. In model form those BR mk3 coaches redefined track curve radius they were so long.