Arigna Town

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

Mixed feelings. They have done a wonderful job on the pictures and plans, but splitting my notes in two has made parts of the article seem a bit muddled. Things are mentioned which will not be in text or pictures till October. Also, had the info about the Sligo in the first paragraph, as not everyone knows the line.

I must bear some of the blame for writing too much!

Overall though, it is still a nice buzz to see your own stuff in print in the biggest selling UK model railway mag.

I had a proper read of it last night and it seemed very good to me.

Also, it was nice to see this Forum credited - I assume the Boss will be slipping you a fiver.

Well done all round.

I look forward to getting my copy signed one day, if you ever venture a bit further northwards.

Mixed feelings. They have done a wonderful job on the pictures and plans, but splitting my notes in two has made parts of the article seem a bit muddled. Things are mentioned which will not be in text or pictures till October. Also, had the info about the Sligo in the first paragraph, as not everyone knows the line.

I must bear some of the blame for writing too much!

Overall though, it is still a nice buzz to see your own stuff in print in the biggest selling UK model railway mag.

Congratulations on the Article in Railway Modeller David. It's publication coincides with the 25th anniversary of Arigna coal mines closing. There was a piece about it in yesterday's Irish Times, Sat 14th. Here's the link http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/arigna-pays-tribute-to-miners-on-25th-anniversary-of-coal-mines-closing-1.2139156.

Many thanks for that. Ought to have made the connection, having visited the Mining Experience in 2013. A very fine tourist attraction it is too. Down in the village picked up a couple of lumps of coal from the works entrance. Enough to filly wagons and loco bunkers. Would like to think it is Arigna coal but may well have come from Poland I guess...

Many thanks for that. Ought to have made the connection, having visited the Mining Experience in 2013. A very fine tourist attraction it is too. Down in the village picked up a couple of lumps of coal from the works entrance. Enough to filly wagons and loco bunkers. Would like to think it is Arigna coal but may well have come from Poland I guess...

The "Works" is on the site of the narrow gauge sidings and loading point in Arigna Village, part of the old loading bank/bunkers are visible from the road under the new structure.

The WW1 Arigna Valley Railway extend another couple of miles to serve the Arigna Mining pits above Aughabehy. The Arigna Mining Company seems to have an incestuous relationship with the C&L was bankrupted as a result of a mining boundaries dispute with the Leyden's a local mining family who currently operate Arigna Fuels.

The Leyen's acquired the Arigna Mining Company assets and mining rights concentrating its washing & screening operations at the Arigna Village railhead.

No doubt the Arigna Valley would have become a bed of industry and magnet for competing railways had O'Reilly's Ironworks been successful

It is indeed Broithe. Mine is from Greenscene & was bought as a short plait. You tease a small piece out, spray with fixative of choice and sprinkle with scatter material. Very effective and quick. Am fairly sure it is a synthetic material, though mine is very curly/springy, so you never know!

Thanks for the info folks. Have often wondered about the relationships between mines & tramway. History books have always seemed a bit vague, while Arigna C&L station is miles from the village itself - hence my liberties with local geog & hist.

The Irish Times piece was especially interesting. My grandfather was a Yorkshire miner, though methinks there was likely a bit more headroom than the Arigna miners had. Even the modern 'mine experiences' [all that Thatcher has left us in Britain] barely scratch the surface of the conditions these guys faced. Remember supporting a miners strike demonstration while at college in the 1970s. All the bands and pit banners were out - it was a rousing experience, especially when they stormed parliament to 'lobby' MPs. A different age...