MM004 Chips for 201's problems

Rate this question

wiggy

Question

Just started to chip my MM 201's.

I've 2 sound chips on order and just received 2 normal MM004 chips.

I assume these chips are Zimo chips.??

After installing the 2 chips into the 201's I am getting the following problems.

I am using a Lenz system.

When I press F0 nothing happens except that 1 loco has the head lights on all times and flickers while stationary in all functions.

When I press F1 in one direction the marker lights come on then go straight off again but if I change direction then they seam to work ok. (Both locos)

When I press F2 the head lights and marker lights both come on then go straight off again but again seam to work OK in the other direction.(both locos)

When I press F3 & F4 the cab lights work OK on one loco and very very dim on the other loco.

Any one have any ideas.

Also are the CV settings (braking, acceleration, speed settings etc.) the same as the Loksound as there are no instructions with the chip as to what CV's do what.

Not very impressed so far hope the sound ones are OK.

Wiggy. :(

19 answers to this question

I would say as always its not the decoders fault but the circuit board. 175euro RRP for a loco and its the biggest let down when it comes to this issue I think its high time MM did this circuit board right and posted free replacements out to all its customers. I hope the forthcoming 071 has not got the same issues. If your going to command top money for a loco the least you can do is make sure there are no underlying issues like this and if there is sort out the problem.

Edited by Anthony

I bought one of MM's chips just to see the cab lights working since this was the only function I couldn't switch on with a TCS decoder. Depending on which of my 201s I install it in I get different results as has wiggy. As Anthony has said the problem is in the circuit board not the decoder which, by the way, I thought was an ESU product. That is what DecoderPro seems to think it is.

Ho dear what a shame.:((

£130+ for a loco and the lights don't work.

Driving back from Coventry and thought about the little switch under the chassis under the bogie, what does that do or not. ??

What about the CV settings anybody know.??

Thanks,

Wiggy.

Enniscortyman,

You probably have a blown LED, that is why you have no cab light. My Loco has the same problem. Maybe you could get a replacement one from MM and solder it in.

Ger.

Hi Ger,

It seems to be a problem with the PCB as I done

meter reading on the connection and not a peep

Out of it.

Enniscortyman,

You probably have a blown LED, that is why you have no cab light. My Loco has the same problem. Maybe you could get a replacement one from MM and solder it in.

Ger.

Don't think the LED's are blown there just very very dim, or may be thats what there like when they are blown.

End of the day very disappointing.

Have emailed MM but just get the automated fob off message.

Wiggy.

Things have taken a step further.

If I put the blanking chip back in and run in analog all the lights(except cab)work so the circuits must be working ok.

I then remembered that I have an ESU decoder tester so I tested the Zimo chip and I get the faults showing up on the tester which points back to a faulty chip.

So I have sent the chips back and we will see what happens from there.(unless someone has already gone down this route)

Let me know.

Ta,

Wiggy.

Wiggy, the MM 21-pin chips are ESU Lokpilot V4 (DCC Supplies or the ESU websites should have instruction booklets). I use a Gaugemaster unit to map the CVs as follows: CV32: 2; CV340: 5CV346: 10; CV362: 4; CV 378: 8; CV 394: 16; CV 410: 32. This gives directional side/main lamps on F0and F1 with the cab lights on F3 and F4. Sometimes this causes the loco to roket around - if this happens just write 8 to CV 8 and start the process again.

I also have the CV set up for ESU Loksound V3.5 if anyone needs these. The new 201 soundchip from Modelshopbelfast is a Zimo which should be preset to make all the lights etc work properly - if not contact MSB direct.

Incidently, Model Rail in June 2012 have an excellent article on replacing the entire circuit board with an ESU 21-pin Adapter Board #51968 allowing the full capabilities of the chips to be exploited. Not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted I would think given the cost of MM201s!

Thanks for that Irishrailwayman.

I must be confused (its not hard for that to happen).

I thought that both the sound and none sound where Zimo.

I'm not into a lot of CV changing and most of the CV's you mention i do not recognise, in fact all but CV 8 I don't recognise.

I use a Lenz controller and the info that came with the old loksound v3.5 booklet (soundguy class 141/181)I think dose not go that far up the scale.

I will have to try and get into CV's when I am feeling adventures.

Thanks for the info any way.

The replacement chips are on the way back to me so I will see what happens when I fit them.

Regards,

Wiggy.

I'm not into a lot of CV changing and most of the CV's you mention i do not recognise, in fact all but CV 8 I don't recognise.

I use a Lenz controller and the info that came with the old loksound v3.5 booklet (soundguy class 141/181)I think dose not go that far up the scale.

The replacement chips are on the way back to me so I will see what happens when I fit them.

Regards,

Wiggy.

Wiggy you couldn't have a better man than Gerry to advise you on DCC and DCC sound. Himself and Eamonn (Enniscorthy Man) are the resident experts. I know if I ever dip my toes into the DCC sound side of the hobby I will be paying those boys a visit.

Rich,

Regards,

Wiggy.

Wiggy don't worry about playing about with the CV's as if it all goes wrong as Irishrailwayman says just program CV8 to the value of 8 and the decoder will be reset to the factory settings. With the Zimo and Loksound you can get some very realistic pulling away and stopping if you play about with CV3 and CV4

Incidently, Model Rail in June 2012 have an excellent article on replacing the entire circuit board with an ESU 21-pin Adapter Board #51968 allowing the full capabilities of the chips to be exploited. Not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted I would think given the cost of MM201s!

Very interesting article that I think I will give it a go myself on one of my 201's

I look forward to see how you get on with this.

No problem Bro but I am doing a bit of research and looking at other options like taking out the circuit board on a 201 and replacing it with this http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=768 or something similar. Any ideas yourself.

Edited by Anthony

No problem Bro but I am doing a bit of research and looking at other options like taking out the circuit board on a 201 and replacing it with this http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=768 or something similar. Any ideas yourself.

I do need another decoder for my 222 and was wanting

to get the TCS 21 pin that you got and see if Gerry can

get it to work.

Just got my replacement chips back and everything seams to be working OK at the moment. :)

Just messing with the braking and acceleration settings to get it more realistic.

Also received 2 sound chips, have fitted them and they seam to be OK to.

Seam to have different cv settings for braking and acceleration than the none sound.

Think they are different makes anyway.

All good fun. :banana:

Will have a video up later next week with a little something special. :)

Wiggy. :cool: