Dcc or dc layout

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

Hi all you knowledegables out there. When I build my DCC layout, & run in a DCC loco on it, will I be running the lcoo as DC or DCC, & how do I run / test a loco in DC on the layout if it's a DCC layout. Is it when you connect a DCC controller to the layout or what, so when is a layout DCC !!! Many thanks in advance

8 answers to this question

once you have a DCC controller/booster connected to the track , you have a DCC layout. Once your locos are " chipped" they are DCC ready.

no reason why you cant run in on DCC. or if you have a little test track on DC, just remove the decoder. I really wouldn't bother with trying to run DC on DCC in DC compatibility mode. Lifes too short.

Hi Burnthebox,

A layout can be wired as DCC and operated as DC if only a DC controller is connected to the lines.

However, isolating DC locos will not be possible due to the 'always live' aspects of DCC.

Vice Versa is also in theory possible but as a DCC loco is isolated on a DC wired layout, you would would loose the lights/sounds etc.

A DCC wired layout with a DCC Controller connected would make it all DCC.

Once you loco chip is programmed, you are ready to go.

Because our layout started out as DC, it is now wired to run as DCC or DC. There are isolation sections and blocks which are switch on and off as appropriate in DC mode, however in DCC mode all sections are left switched on (i.e. live rails everywhere). I use a few master switches to switch between DCC master controller out put, or the outputs of DC controllers. I find this useful for testing, maintaining and running in locos in pure DC mode (i.e. no decoder installed).

In DCC mode all I have to do is ensure there are no analogue DC locos on live sections of track (i.e. switch block sections off). No problem the other way around as I configure my loco decoders so that they do not respond to Analogue/DC (i.e. CV29 bit 2 = 0 off).

This setup allows me to occasionally run some old locos that will never be converted to DCC.

My layout (Rachelstown and St Stephens Green) is wired for three controllers as DC through DPDT centre off switches. This is for the future if I choose to convert to DCC. It would then be operable as DCC or DC at the flick of a switch, literally. However chipping approximately 140 Locos to convert to DCC is financially out of the question, having said that four already are fitted with Chips. So possibly some more my be done to have a DCC running evening/weekend. TDR

My layout (Rachelstown and St Stephens Green) is wired for three controllers as DC through DPDT centre off switches. This is for the future if I choose to convert to DCC. It would then be operable as DCC or DC at the flick of a switch, literally. However chipping approximately 140 Locos to convert to DCC is financially out of the question, having said that four already are fitted with Chips. So possibly some more my be done to have a DCC running evening/weekend. TDR

You have more locos than most but if you could do your favorites first, say one a week you could get it done in in three years. The cost of chips is likely to come down. If sound becomes mainstream then the cost of 'basic' chips will also fall. Buying chips in bulk in Germany as suggested by Noel might help a little.

One could probably not afford to get someone to do them for one so there would be a big time commitment.