079 in Supertrain Livery

Rate this topic

All the 071s carried the original different shade of tan, as they carried when delivered, until around 84/85, when they started to receive repaints into the normal shade of black/tan livery, so all would have looked similar in that period. Only difference was four of them carried tablet catchers for a period.

Great job, Noel! Nice picture, Dave! I was looking to confirm that 079 had the SA suffix in Supertrain as I recently renumbered my 086 based on an assumption without any confirmatory photographic evidence. Like Wrenneire's photo, some of the 141/181 class locomotives had an "S" suffix only.

Edited by DiveController

The S was to show it was fitted with CAWS, locos without CAWS were speed restricted on some services. 071s without CAWS were not allowed to operated MK3s up to 90mph and were restricted to 75mph. A was for locos that had their air brakes commissioned. What's interesting in the photos of 073 is that it has no A yet it's working MK3 air brakes stock.

lovely pics, that livery was just class!:((

Yes fab pic, and it was a classic livery, however that dull livery never blow my skirt up! :) It wasn't until the tippex livery emerged that I realised just how dull the supertrain livery looked. Scale does strange things to colour, while the ST livery was more familiar to my memory, I prefer the IR tippex livery on models. It just seems to scale better visually. I'm tempted to respray one of my 071s Black'n'Tan just for fun despite the fact they never had it. I have a silver and black one and I just don't like the look of it.

The S was to show it was fitted with CAWS, locos without CAWS were speed restricted on some services. 071s without CAWS were not allowed to operated MK3s up to 90mph and were restricted to 75mph. A was for locos that had their air brakes commissioned. What's interesting in the photos of 073 is that it has no A yet it's working MK3 air brakes stock.

Iarnrod's pics show 079 in her original livery and latterly in her super train livery as 079S,

but in the last picture The Marsh Mallow's

Original livery as delivered to CIE prior to being repaint into ST proper but with with 079S on the front (CAWS fitted) and then 079SA on the side with SA in somewhat smaller lettering indicating some sort of ad hoc remembering as the air brakes were commissioned, (one presumes).

Anyway no question that she was not 079SA by the time she was repainted into ST livery