Dapol Chiltern Railways 68

Rate this topic

BosKonay

• 2 years later...

Very tempted to pull the trigger on one of these, especially in the Chiltern livery, I just love how they look and the real things sound fantastic, almost like an 071 at times. Plus Dapol have said that they will do Chiltern Mk3s in their next run, hopefully getting the doors right one can hope. 

An issue that is stopping me is the coupler height, I have noticed a few customers saying its far too low even when not drooping. I have n't seen this mentioned in any reviews though. Anyone here any hands on with them?

2 minutes ago, Railer said:

Very tempted to pull the trigger on one of these, especially in the Chiltern livery, I just love how they look and the real things sound fantastic, almost like an 071 at times. Plus Dapol have said that they will do Chiltern Mk3s in their next run, hopefully getting the doors right one can hope. 

An issue that is stopping me is the coupler height, I have noticed a few customers saying its far too low even when not drooping. I have n't seen this mentioned in any reviews though. Anyone here any hands on with them?

Assuming you mean the N gauge one? Dapol dont do Mark IIIs in 00.

I have a DRS one and it's very very nice loco indeed. Will look at the coupler height later on if you like, it's only a recent purchase and was out of the box once! 

• Thanks 1

Didn't know they only did N gauge 3s, pity. 

Yeah the DRS one looks very nice too. I also like the TPE livery, hope they get it right for release. The factory sample looks off but could be lighting. 

Suppose the advantage of the DRS is you can use it to haul just bout anything. 

Finally treated myself to one. 

20180909_143541.jpg

20180909_143657.jpg

20180909_143726.jpg

20180909_143733.jpg

The couple on the 68 hangs low and catches on points unless it's under tension hauling a train. Such a fantastic model and amazing detail such a shame in such a small thing. 

Great loco though, very smooth and quiet and low speeds and also very heavy. 

• Like 2

Having recently travelled behind 68007 hauling a Mk2 set while travelling around the Fife circle in Scotland, I was suitably impressed by the power and acceleration of the 68

Needless to say I'm on the lookout for the model version with sound, I'm hopeful I will pick up one at Warley in November.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, Railer said:

Finally treated myself to one. 

The couple on the 68 hangs low and catches on points unless it's under tension hauling a train. Such a fantastic model and amazing detail such a shame in such a small thing. 

Great loco though, very smooth and quiet and low speeds and also very heavy. 

Good to hear you say that the Dapol 68 is a good and quiet runner. Ive had several Dapol locomotives that I had to return to the retailer because they were really noisy runners. So much so that it was a terrible distraction, but also being a DRS loco fan I wouldn't mind of of these, lets see if I get lucky on the quiet running...

I got mine from Rails Sheffield, also on the box there was a sticker on it saying that they had test run it before hand which is a nice bit of service. I assume that was from the high return rate of the first batch of 68s. 68008 Avenger in DRS is from the second batch and on my to get list later in the year.

• Like 1